Advent Vega is an Android tablet that runs on the Android 2.2 Froyo version. Unfortunately, the users of this tablet never got any update to Gingerbread and even after two years, the tablet still runs on the Froyo, without Play Store app. There’s an inbuilt app on the tablet that lets you download apps but they are limited to only 5000 apps while the Play Store serves more than 400k apps. If you happen to own the Vega tablet and want to enjoy the root access on it, then the following guide will be useful to you.
1. You must have ADB installed on your PC. Learn how to setup ADB.
2. Make sure that your device is charged fully. The procedure will take some good time, so charging your device fully will prevent any interruptions.
1. RageInTheCage (Download link is given there in the Step-2)
2. Superuser Package (Download link is given there in the Step-2)
1. Download and place both the files on the Desktop of your PC.
2. Extract files from both the archives to your Desktop.
3. Copy all the extracted files to the ADB folder where adb.exe file is located.
4. After copying all the files, connect your tablet to the PC using the USB cable.
5. Open a Command Prompt Window in the ADB folder. To do so, open up the ADB folder, right-click on any empty area on the screen while holding the Shift key and then choose Open command window here option.
6. Issue the following commands using the Command Prompt Window:
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
7. Now, using the same Command Prompt Window, issue the following commands:
8. Here’s the final step to root your tablet. Type in the following commands into the Command Prompt Window and your device will be rooted:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb push su /system/xbin/
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
9. Your tablet is now rooted and you can safely disconnect it from the PC.
Your Advent Vega now has root access and with the support of a custom recovery image, you should be able to get a custom ROM up and running on your tablet !
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the Advent Vega to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
For more of our modding, hacking, and advanced tinkering tutorials, head to our Rooting and Jailbreaking section.
For more of our tips and tricks, head to our How To section.