If you happen to own a HTC Sensation smartphone running on the Android 4.0.3 ICS with HBoot version 1.27.0000 and looking for a simple a way to gain root access on it, then you have come to the right place. We have compiled all the required steps below to get you started with rooting the HTC Sensation to enjoy the happiness that most Android users are having with their rooted phones. Here you go:
1. Your smartphone must be running on Android 4.0.3 ICS with HBoot Version 1.27.0000
2. You must have unlocked bootloader of your device. You can do so from here.
3. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
2. ClockworkMod Recovery Image (Download link’s given there next to the phone name)
3. Root Package (Download the ZIP file using the link given in the first post)
1. Download all the files mentioned above to the Desktop of your PC.
2. Extract files from the Fastboot package to your Desktop. You can use tools like WinRAR to do it.
3. Connect your smartphone to your PC using the USB cable.
4. Open a Command Prompt Window on the Desktop of your PC where adb.exe and fastboot.exe files are located. Right-click on any empty area on the screen while holding the Shift button on your keyboard, choose Open command window here option.
5. Type in the following commands in the Command Prompt Window to reboot your device into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
6. When your device enters the bootloader menu, choose fastboot option.
7. Rename the recovery file you downloaded from the above section to recovery.img. It helps us easily flash the recovery using fastboot.
8. Now, in the Command Prompt window you opened in earlier step, type in the following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9. The recovery will be flashed on your device and you should see the confirmation on your screen.
10. Issue the following command using the same Command Prompt Window to reboot your device:
You have successfully installed the ClockworkMod Recovery on your device and now head on to the next section to root your device.
1. Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable. Make sure that your phone is turned ON in the normal mode.
2. Copy the Root Package file to the root folder of your device’s SD card. Please do not put the file in any deep folder.
3. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop and issue the following command:
adb reboot recovery
4. Your phone will reboot into the Recovery mode.
5. From the Main Menu of the Recovery, choose install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
6. Select the Root Package ZIP file which you copied to your phone for flashing.
7. As soon as the rooting file is flashed, choose reboot system now from the Recovery menu.
Congrats ! Your HTC Sensation is now rooted. You now have the ability to install root-only apps as well as custom ROMs on your phone.
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the next procedure to learn how to flash a Custom ROM on the HTC the Sensation.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!