HTC EVO 4G was the smartphone launched in the year 2010 running on the Sprint’s WiMAX Network to provide ultra-fast speed to its users. The smartphone was among those initial devices which were running on the 4G network and still the phone is considered to be the best for the 4G connectivity. If you are interested in rooting your device to gain much more customization access, here’s how you can root your HTC EVO 4G smartphone.
1. The warranty of your device will be voided if you root it. Keep this in mind and go ahead.
2. You must be on HBOOT 2.18.
3. You must have unlocked the bootloader of your device. You can do so from here.
1. Root Package (Download from Download Here section)
1. Download and place the Root Package file onto your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Root Package to your Desktop. Make sure that you’ve fastboot.exe file on your Desktop.
3. Turn OFF your smartphone.
4. Reboot your device into the bootloader mode. Just press and hold Volume DOWN+Power buttons together and you should enter the bootloader mode.
5. From the bootloader menu, select the Fastboot option using the Power button.
6. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
7. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do so, press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen and choose Open command window here.
8. Enter the following command into the Command Prompt Window you just opened:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img
9. You need to wait till it finishes flashing the custom recovery on your device.
10. On your device, select the Bootloader option using the Power button.
11. You now have a few options on your screen, choose the Recovery option.
12. From the Recovery menu, choose USB-MS toggle option.
13. Your device will be shown as a disk drive on your PC. Transfer the CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip file you extracted from the Root Package to the root folder of your device’s SD card storage.
14. Now, from the Recovery menu, choose Flash zip from sdcard option followed by Choose zip from sdcard.
15. Head to the folder where you transferred the file in Step-13, select it for flashing.
16. Reboot your device after the file has been flashed.
Your device is now rooted ! You shouldn’t be waiting here after rooting your device, go load a custom ROM on your smartphone.
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the HTC EVO 4G to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.