Passbook is a new iOS 6 app that turns your iPhone into a virtual wallet ready to store tickets, loyalty cards, coupons, gift cards and more. While it doesn’t handle NFC payments like Google Wallet, it does help iOS 6 users streamline some of the plastic bulk out of their wallet, leaving more room for more important things, like the green stuff.
How To Use Passbook in iOS 6
1. Open the Passbook app by tapping on the app icon.
2. Tap App Store, this will link you to the App Store and an introductory list of apps that currently support the app.
3. Tap on the app that you want linked to your Passbook and enter in your Apple ID Password to begin the download process. I chose Walgreens for demonstration purposes.
4. After your chosen app is downloaded, tap on the app icon and a notification will appear with the option to add the card to Passbook. After reading the notification, exit and either create a rewards account or log into your existing account.
5. Once you’ve created a new rewards account or logged into an existing one, tap the button at the bottom that says Add To Passbook.
6. The Walgreens Pass allows its user the option to be notified when a preferred Walgreens store is within proximity to the user, tap add with Store or Add Without Store to continue. Note: This step may vary depending on each individual vendor app options.
7. Once you have completed selecting your preferred Pass options, tap the blue Add button in the top right hand corner. This will add and activate your rewards card to the Passbook app. You can now exit the vendor app and re-open the Passbook app. Your rewards card will appear ready to be used.
8. Tapping the information button (i) in the lower-right corner of the card flips the card over to showcase additional options. Here you can choose to turn Automatic Updates on, which will notify you when your location services detects that you are near a store.
9. To delete a Pass tap on the trash can icon found in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Tap on Delete to proceed with removing the Pass or Cancel to keep the Pass active.
10. After tapping Delete, you will see the pass shredded and it will no longer appear in your Passbook app
Note* PassBook is installed on the iPhone and iPod Touch with iOS 6, but the app is currently not available for the iPad. Steps to add activate a new rewards or loyalty account will vary depending on each vendor specific app requirements prior to adding to Passbook.