How to Root the HTC Sensation XL
When you see the HTC Sensation XL smartphone for the very first time, the one question that pops-up in the mind is whether to call this device a smartphone or a tablet. Sporting a large 4.7″ inch screen, you’d be able to enjoy the touch-screen at its full and not to mention the HD videos you can enjoy on it. If you want to expand the features of your smartphone, or just want to load some root-only apps, then first you need to gain root access on your device. Here’s how you can root your HTC Sensation XL.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have unlocked bootloader of your device. You can unlock the bootloader from here.
2. This will void the warranty of your device. Do it at your own risk.
II. Downloading Required Files:
2. ClockworkMod Recovery Image (Download link’s given in the first post)
3. SuperSU (It’s a ZIP file attached there in the first post)
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the HTC Sensation XL:
1. Place all the files you have downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop. Don’t open any file.
3. Turn ON the USB debugging option on your device from Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging.
4. Connect the device to your PC using the USB cable.
5. Transfer the SuperSU file you just downloaded to the root folder of your phone’s SD card.
6. Next, Launch a Command Prompt Window with Desktop as the current directory. To do so, press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and right-click on any emtpy area on your Desktop, then choose Open command window here.
7. Type in the following commands into the window:
adb reboot bootloader
8. After the device has entered Fastboot mode, issue the following command:
fastboot erase cache
9. Now, enter the following command into the Command Prompt Window. Make sure to replace the recovery.img with the actual name of the Recovery Image you downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
10. It should flash the CWM Recovery on your device.
Well done, you now have CWM Recovery installed on your device, it’s a MoDaCo Edition Recovery and not the official one, it does work perfectly, though. Let’s see how you can root your device.
IV. Rooting the HTC Sensation XL:
1. Catching up from the Step-9 from the above section, choose the Recovery option from bootloader menu.
2. Select install zip from sdcard>>choose zip from sdcard from the Recovery menu.
3. Head to the folder where you transferred the SuperSU ZIP file and select it for flashing using the Power button.
4. Wait until it finishes flashing the file.
5. After the file has been flashed, reboot the device using reboot system now from the Recovery menu.
Brilliant! Your phone’s now rooted and a custom recovery is there on your phone. If you’ve been waiting to flash a custom ROM on your device, this is the perfect time to do it.
V. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the HTC Sensation XL to learn how to do that.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.