If you’ve been waiting for an Ice Cream Sandwich ROM for your HTC Wildfire S, the wait’s over now. With the help of the CyanogenMod, you can really get the ICS running on your device. In order to install the custom ROM, you need to have a rooted phone. Here’s how you can root the HTC Wildfire S.
1. You must have unlocked bootloader of your device. Visit the HTCDev website to do so.
2. Since the procedure will take some good time, you should have charged your device to have at least 60% of battery life left.
1. ClockworkMod Recovery Image (Download latest version from the first post)
2. Root Script (It is attached there in the first post)
1. Download and place both the files onto your Desktop. Do NOT extract any files from the archives.
2. Connect the HTC Wildfire S to your PC using the USB cable.
3. Transfer the ClockworkMod Recovery Image and Root Script files to the root folder of your device’s SD card.
4. Disconnect the device from your PC after the files have been transferred.
5. Turn the Fastboot option OFF on your device from Menu>>Settings>>Power>>Fastboot.
6. Turn OFF your device using the Power button.
7. Reboot your device into the bootloader mode. Just press and hold the Volume DOWN+Power buttons together and you will be in bootloader mode.
8. It should automatically detect the PG76IMG.zip file and prompt you to flash it. Choose Yes and it should begin flashing.
9. Reboot your device after the flashing is finished.
The ClockworkMod Recovery has successfully been installed on your device. Let’s see how you can use it to root your device.
1. First of all, make sure that the Root Script file is still there on your SD card.
2. Turn OFF your device.
3. Reboot your device into the CWM Recovery mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
4. Choose Recovery option from the menu that appears on your screen.
5. From the CWM Recovery Menu, choose install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
6. Navigate to the folder where you put the Root Script file and select it for flashing.
7. It should take a minute or two to finish flashing the file.
8. After the file is successfully flashed, choose reboot system now from the Recovery menu.
Great! You now have root access on your device as well as CWM Recovery. With these two powers, you can customize your device to a great extent.
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the HTC Wildfire S to learn how to do that.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!