If you’re using the LG Optimus on Virgin network, you’re in luck as there’s a simple method available to root the device. The LG Optimus V, where V stands for Virgin, is a smartphone launched back in 2011 and the thing that puts this device aside from its other variants is, the apps that come preloaded by Virgin on the stock ROM. If you own this smartphone and are interested in rooting it, here’s a procedure for you. Let’s get the rooting LG Optimus V procedure started.
1. You’re going to void the warranty of your device by rooting it.
2. You must have Drivers for your device installed on your PC.
1. Root Package (It’s attached there in the first post)
2. SuperOneClick (It’s attached in the first post)
1. Download and place all the files on your Desktop.
2. Extract files from all three archives you downloaded to your Desktop.
3. Enable USB debugging on your device by heading to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging.
4. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable. If it asks for the connection type, choose Charge only.
5. Double-click on the SuperOneClick executable file and it should launch.
6. From the top-right corner, choose psneuter from the Exploit dropdown menu.
7. Now, hit the Shell Root button and it should temporarily root your device. Do NOT close the SuperOneClick window.
8. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do so, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
9. Type in the following commands into the Command Prompt Window:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
adb push su /system/bin
adb push busybox /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 555 busybox
10. Your device should reboot.
11. Now, head over to Google Play and download and install the Superuser app. It doesn’t cost a penny!
12. You’re now permanently rooted !
Well done! The SU binaries have been successfully injected in your system and the Superuser app is there in your Menu! What else you need to run the root-only apps?
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the LG Optimus V to learn how to do that.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.