How to Root the Motorola Droid 3
While there’re plenty of custom ROMs available for the Motorola Droid 3 smartphone, you can’t enjoy them until you’ve rooted your device. Rooting doesn’t just let you install custom ROMs, but it does allow you to install root-only apps, the latter one is the main reason why most users root their devices. So, let’s see how you can root your Motorola Droid 3 smartphone.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You’re going to void the warranty of your device by rooting it. Keep it in mind and go ahead.
2. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
3. Your device should have at least 60% of battery life left.
4. You must have Drivers for your device installed on your PC.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. Pete’s Motorola Root Tools (Download link’s given in the second post)
III. Rooting the Motorola Droid 3:
1. Download and place the Root Tools archive on your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Root Tools archive and place them on your Desktop.
3. Enable the USB debugging option on your device by heading to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging.
4. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable that came with it.
5. Launch the Pete’s Motorola Root Tools by double-clicking on the executable file you extracted earlier.
6. Click on the Root My Phone button given inside the tool.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions.
8. And you’re rooted now!
Amazing! You’ve successfully rooted your Motorola Droid 3 smartphone using the one-click root utility. As you now have root access, you can try out some root-only apps on your device!
IV. Flash a Custom Recovery Image (Optional):
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the Motorola Droid 3 to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
TheUnlockr.com, your source for how to root, hack, and mod to unlock your device's true potential.Look for your device here to get started.
Need a custom ROM?Check out our ROM Repository to view all the ROMs available for your device.
Check out David's latest videos here.