Since we do not have a straight way to root the Sony Xperia Pro MK16i device, we need to use a combination of root methods to gain root access on the device and unlock its true potential. Don’t be afraid as we’ve simplified the entire process to root the device, all you need to do is just follow the following guide.
1. The following procedure works on locked bootloader.
2. Make sure your device has enough battery life left, otherwise you’ll be stuck in the middle of the process.
3. The following procedure should work on the Android ICS only.
1. Kernel (Download link’s given at the end of the post)
2. Flashtool (Download the Windows version from Installation tab)
3. Root Toolkit (Download the latest version from first post)
1. Download and place all the files to your Desktop. This should make it easier to find the files in later steps.
2. Extract files from the Root Toolkit to your Desktop. Do NOT launch any file just yet.
3. Double-click on the Flashtool executable file and install it on your PC.
4. Extract kernel.sin file from the .ftf file and place it in the firmwares folder located in the folder where you installed Flashtool.
5. Enable the USB debugging option on your device from Menu>>Settings>>Developer options>>USB debugging.
6. Enable the Unknown sources option as well from Menu>>Settings>>Security>>Unknown sources.
7. Turn OFF your device.
8. While your device’s turned OFF, press and hold the button given next to the Menu button and Power button together.
9. Now, connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
10. Launch the Flashtool program you installed on your PC earlier. The shortcut should be there on your Desktop, you can double-click on it.
11. Inside the tool, click on Thunder button.
12. Select Fastboot Mode and you should see a new window being popped-up.
13. Click on Select Kernel to Flash option and then select the Kernel file you downloaded earlier.
14. As soon as you select the Kernel file, it should automatically begin the flashing process.
15. Wait for the process to finish.
16. Turn OFF your device when it’s done.
17. Pull the battery out of your device and after a few seconds, put it back in.
18. Turn ON your device and make sure it’s connected to your PC.
19. Double-click on the file named RUNME.bat which you extracted from the Root Toolkit.
20. Follow the on-screen instructions.
21. You should be rooted now!
Awesome! Your device’s now rooted and you can head to Google Play to install root-only apps. The developer of the root method suggests to flash the original kernel after you’ve rooted your device. You can get the original kernel on XDA, just do a search there!
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the Sony Xperia Pro MK16i to learn how to do that.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!