The most anticipated update for the Droid RAZR Maxx HD, Jelly Bean, has arrived and it brings the Android version up to 4.1. The update adds a number of new features to the device, that we’ve seen when the Jelly Bean was announced first. As usual, the update broke the root access and hence created a challenge for developers to gain root access on the device once again and the developers did it. The root access has been achieved on the device and in the following guide, we’re gonna show you the same. It shows how you can root your Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD device.
1. If you’ve updated your device to Jelly Bean, then first downgrade it to stock ICS using the tool given here.
2. Make sure your device’s charged fully or has at least 80% of battery life left.
1. Root Package (It’s attached in the first post)
1. Download and place the Root Package ZIP on your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the archive to your Desktop. Do NOT launch any file just yet.
3. Install the Motorola Drivers using the files you extracted from the archive.
4. On your device, head to Menu>>Settings>>Developer options and enable USB debugging.
5. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
6. Double-click on the file named RUN.bat, it’s one of the files you extracted to your Desktop.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions.
8. You should be rooted now!
Your device’s rooted. Now, before updating to Jelly Bean, follow the following steps to keep the root access alive on your device.
1. While you’re rooted on ICS, head over to Play Store and download VooDoo Rootkeeper.
2. Install the app on your device.
3. Once it’s installed, launch it from Menu.
4. Tap on Protect Root option in the app.
5. Once the root’s protected, tap on Temp Unroot button.
6. Your device should be unrooted temporarily.
7. Now, update your device to the latest Jelly Bean OTA by heading to Menu>>Settings>>About phone>>Software update>>Update.
8. Once you’ve updated your device with the latest OTA, launch the VooDoo Rootkeeper app on the device.
9. This time, choose the Restore Root option and it should restore the root access on your device.
10. You’re all done!
Congratulations! You now have root access on your Droid RAZR Maxx HD running on the latest Android Jelly Bean build. Although the JB’s full of features that would take a while for you to be familiar with, you may want to try out some root-only apps in the meantime!
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!