To get root-only apps, you need root access and to get custom ROMS, you need a custom recovery. The root access just allows you to install root-only apps but if you install a custom recovery, you’re going to get some of the great custom ROMs running on your device. We already have the rooting guide for the HTC EVO Design 4G and in the following guide, we’re gonna show you how you can install ClockworkMod Recovery on your EVO Design 4G.
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Please head to our How to Root the HTC EVO Design 4G procedure first, finish it, then return to this procedure and continue.
2. Make sure your device’s charged fully or has at least 60% of battery life left.
1. ClockworkMod Recovery (Download link’s given in the first post)
1. Place the file you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Rename the file to PH44IMG.zip.
3. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
4. Copy the Recovery file over to the root of your SD card. Make sure to put it in the root folder, otherwise it won’t work.
5. Disconnect the device from your PC.
6. Turn OFF the device.
7. Remove the battery from the device.
8. Put it back into the device.
9. Press and hold the Volume DOWN+Power buttons together. This should reboot the device into HBOOT mode.
10. It should automatically ask you if you want to update your device with the file you copied to your SD card, hit Yes.
11. Wait till it flashes the file.
12. Once it’s done, reboot the device.
13. When the device boots up, go to your SD card and delete the PH44IMG.zip file.
14. You’re all set!
Awesome! Your HTC EVO Design 4G is now rocking a custom recovery called ClockworkMod. This is one of the best custom recoveries ever made and has plenty of options to choose from!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the HTC EVO Design 4G to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.