In the days when everybody’s running Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean builds on their devices, there’re some devices that still haven’t been updated to Gingerbread. One of such devices is the HTC Merge, that was launched back in 2011 with Android Froyo running out of box. If you feel you’re suffering due to no updates and no development, better you root your device. It should allow you to install root-only apps using which you can take customization of your device to the next level. So, if you’ve made your mind, let’s see how you can root your HTC Merge.
1. This should void the warranty of your device (until you unroot it).
2. The following procedure roots your device temporarily. There’s no permanent root method available for the device as of this writing.
3. This is intended to work on Android 2.2 Froyo.
1. Visionary (Download link’s given in the first post)
1. Download the Visionary APK file to your Desktop.
2. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
3. Copy the APK file over to the root of your SD card.
4. Once it’s copied, disconnect the device from your PC.
5. Enable the USB debugging option on your device by heading to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging, tick-mark the box.
6. Make sure that the Unknown sources option is also enabled. You can find it in Menu>>Settings>>Security>>Unknown sources.
7. Now, open the File Manager on your device and tap on the APK file you copied earlier to install it.
8. Once installed, launch it from Menu.
9. Tap on Temproot now in the app.
10. It should temporarily root your device.
Great! You have gained temp root on your device. As long as you do not reboot your device, you can enjoy the root access to install root-only apps!. The root access will be lost once you reboot the device!
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.