How to Root the Micromax A45
For the past few years, Micromax has been providing users inexpensive Android smartphones and with their latest A45 model, they’ve proved that you really can get a great smartphone in under a hundred bucks. What this device offers is–a 3.5″ inch screen with the resolution set at 320×480 pixels, though it’s not good enough to watch HD videos, you can enjoy some HQ videos on it. If you have purchased the device or got it as a gift on this Christmas, you’ll be happy to know that it’s got CWM Recovery as well as a root method. As both the tools are available for the device, you aren’t too far from flashing custom ROMs and enjoying the freedom with root access. Sounds good? Huh, let’s see how you can root your Micromax A45.
I. Before You Begin:
1. This will void the warranty of your device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting the device.
2. Make sure your device has at least 60% of battery life left.
3. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. ClockworkMod Recovery Image (It’s third file in the attached files list)
2. Scatter File (It’s attached in the first post)
3. SP Flash Tool (Download link’s given in the first post)
4. Root Package (It’s attached in the first post)
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Micromax A45:
1. Place all the files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the SP Flash Tool archive to your Desktop.
3. Double-click on the SP Flash Tool executable file and it should launch.
4. Turn OFF your device.
5. Pull the battery out of the device.
6. Put it back into the device, but don’t turn ON the device.
7. Connect the device to your PC using the USB cable.
8. Click on Scatter-loading in the Flash Tool and select the Scatter file you downloaded earlier.
9. A list of files will appear in the tool, click on RECOVERY and select the Recovery Image from your Desktop.
10. Make sure only RECOVERY option is checked in the tool.
11. Go to Options and click on USB mode.
12. Click on Download button and the process should begin.
13. It should take some time to flash the file.
14. Once done, reboot the device.
15. You’re all set!
Great! The CWM Recovery has been successfully flashed on the device and we’ll now see how you can root the device using same.
IV. Rooting the Micromax A45:
1. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
2. Copy Root Package file over to the root of your SD card.
3. Disconnect the device from your PC once the file’s been copied.
4. Turn OFF the device.
5. Reboot it into Recovery Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume UP+Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
6. Once inside the Recovery, choose install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
7. Choose the Root Package file you copied earlier and it should begin flashing the file.
8. Once the flashing’s done, reboot the device by choosing reboot system now from recovery menu.
9. You’re rooted now!
Awesome! Root access has been successfully achieved on the device and you would find the Superuser app right on your Menu.
V. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Micromax A45 to learn how to do that.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.