How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 on Jelly Bean
Google’s been keen at keeping the Nexus lineup devices updated with the latest Android version that rolls out to the world. If you own a Galaxy Nexus smartphone, you must have got the notification to update the device to latest Jelly Bean firmware and many of you might have done it by now. When you update a device to the latest firmware, it breaks root access and you’re then required to find a root method for the latest firmware. In the case of Galaxy Nexus, a root method has just been found that claims to root the device and lets you have the freedom on your device you once used to have. If this sounds interesting, just follow our guide below and root your device.
I. Before You Begin:
1. This will void the warranty of your device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting the device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. You must be running on the Android Jelly Bean.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. ClockworkMod Recovery Image (Download link’s given next to the device name)
2. SuperSU ZIP (Download the first one on that page)
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250:
1. Place all the files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop.
3. Rename the Recovery Image you just downloaded to recovery.img.
4. Turn OFF your device.
5. Reboot the device into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume UP+Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
6. Once inside the Fastboot mode, connect the device to your PC via USB cable.
7. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do so, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
8. Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9. It’ll flash the CWM Recovery on your device.
10. Once it’s done, reboot the device by issuing following command:
11. You’re done!
Good job! The CWM Recovery has been successfully installed on the device and now in the following section, you’ll learn how to root the device.
IV. Rooting the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250:
1. Connect the device to your PC via USB cable.
2. Copy the SuperSU ZIP file over to the root of your SD card.
3. Disconnect the device once file’s copied.
4. Turn OFF the device.
5. Reboot the device into Recovery mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume DOWN+Volume UP+Power buttons together.
6. Select Recovery from the list on your screen.
7. In the Recovery, go to install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
8. Select the SuperSU ZIP you copied earlier for flashing.
9. Once flashing’s done, reboot the device by choosing reboot system now from Recovery menu.
10. You’re all set!
Awesome! The root access has been successfully achieved on your Galaxy Nexus smartphone and you’re ready to install the root-only apps once again!
V. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 to learn how to do that.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.