Once you have gotten root access on your device and you want to have some custom ROMs running on it, then you should start off with installing a custom recovery. Fortunately, the ClockworkMod Recovery’s available for the AT&T LG Optimus G smartphone, all thanks to the XDA developers. As soon as you’re done with installing the recovery, you’ll have a whole new world of custom ROMs to explore and enjoy. So, let’s see how you can install ClockworkMod Recovery on your AT&T LG Optimus G.
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. You can check out our rooting guide for the Optimus G.
2. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
2. ClockworkMod Recovery (Download link’s given in the first post)
1. Place both the files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop, leave the Recovery archive untouched.
3. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
4. Copy the Recovery archive over to the root of your SD card.
5. Once file’s copied, unplug the device from your PC.
6. Turn ON the USB debugging option on your device by going to Menu>>Settings>>Developer options>>USB debugging.
7. Once again, connect the device to your PC via USB cable.
8. Launch a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do that, simply hold down the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any blank area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
9. In the Command Prompt Window that you just launched, type in following commands:
adb reboot recovery
10. The device should reboot into the stock recovery.
11. Once inside the Recovery mode, select apply update from external storage.
12. Select the Recovery archive you copied earlier for flashing.
13. Once the file’s flashed, choose reboot system now from the Recovery menu.
14. And you’re all set!
Awesome! The ClockworkMod Recovery has been successfully installed on the device and you can boot into the same by simply issuing the command mentioned in step-9.
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the LG Optimus G (AT&T) to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.