How to Root the Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D710) running Android 4.0.4 (FI27)
We already have a root guide for the Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch but with Sprint releasing yet another update (FI27 build), that procedure is no more useful unless you are still running the same ICS version. The guide below will show you how to root the same device but running Android 4.0.4 with build number IMM761.FI27 and if this what you have, read on!
I. Before You Begin
1. This guide only shows you how to root SPH-D710, the Sprint version of the Galaxy S II, running Android 4.0.4 (build number IMM761.FI27).
2. You may lose all your data by following this procedure, so make sure that back up everything important before you proceed.
3. Ensure that you have all the necessary drivers installed; if not, download them from the next section and install before you proceed.
II. Necessary Downloads
1. SPH-D710_FI27_CL1127689_Rooted_Restore.exe (if you plan a fresh install) or SPH-D710_FI27_CL1127689_Rooted_Nodata.exe (if you plan to retain your data and apps) [Links available in this post]. This guide assumes that you want to preserve your data and uses the Nodata version.
III. Rooting the Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
1. Double-click on SPH-D710_FI27_CL1127689_Rooted_Nodata.exe self-extracting file and extract it to a convenient location (for example, C:\Odin-OC).
2. Double-click on SPH-D710_FI27_CL1127689_Rooted_Nodata.exe from the extracted folder.
3. Power off your device and reboot into Odin mode. To do this, press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons until you get a warning screen and then press Volume Up.
4. Connect your device to your Windows PC. You should see a yellow COM port box light up as soon as you do this. If not, make sure that you have the necessary drivers installed and reconnect your device.
5. Click on Start to begin flashing.
Once Odin says PASS! and your device reboots, you should have a rooted Epic 4G Touch!
IV. Flashing Custom Recovery (Optional)
If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.
TheUnlockr.com, your source for how to root, hack, and mod to unlock your device's true potential.Look for your device here to get started.
Need a custom ROM?Check out our ROM Repository to view all the ROMs available for your device.
Check out David's latest videos here.