Ever since custom ROMs came into existence, custom recoveries started getting fame. It’s really easy to get a custom ROM up and running on your device using a custom recovery rather than flashing it using tools like Odin and so. Besides, a custom recovery will also let you take a backup of your current ROM, so in case your device goes haywire, you can simply revert back to the working condition on your device. In the following guide, you’ll learn how to flash a custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active smartphone:
1. This works on the International variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active only. Doesn’t work for the AT&T variant.
2. You must be rooted before you can do this procedure. Please head to our How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active procedure and root your device.
3. This procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
2. CWM Recovery (Download link’s given in the first post, in step-2)
1. Download and place both the files on your Desktop.
2. Extract files from both the archives over to your Desktop.
3. Double-click on the Odin executable file and it’ll open.
4. Click on PDA and select the CWM Recovery file available on your Desktop.
5. Make sure the Repartition box isn’t checked in the Odin.
6. Turn OFF your device.
7. Turn it back on by holding down Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
8. Press the Volume UP button to continue to Download mode.
9. Plug in your device to your PC using the USB cable.
10. Hit Start in the Odin and it’ll begin flashing the recovery on your device.
11. Once the recovery’s been flashed, your device will automatically reboot.
12. You’re all done!
Congrats! You’ve successfully flashed a custom recovery on your Galaxy S4 Active. You’re now all ready to get started with custom ROMs!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!