Not so long ago, HTC pushed the Android Ice Cream Sandwich update to its Vivid smartphone users. As soon as the update arrived, the developers began working to root the said firmware. Within a few days, the developers achieved root access on HTC Vivid running ICS. Here’s how.
1. You must have unlocked bootloader of your HTC Vivid. You can do it from here.
2. You will lose your phone’s warranty if you root it. However, you can get back the warranty by either applying stock firmware or unrooting your phone.
3. Make sure your phone has charged at least 60%.
1. Download the HTC Drivers from here. [The download link’s given in the right side of the website]
2. Download the Fastboot Package from here.
3. Download the Recovery Image from here. [Hit the first download link on that page]
4. Download the Superuser ZIP from here. [Download link is given in the first post]
1. Place all the downloaded files onto your Desktop,
2. Double-click the htc_sync_setup_3.2.20.exe file.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install drivers.
1. Extract files from Fastboot as well as Recovery Image ZIP archives to your Desktop.
2. Turn OFF your smartphone using the Power key.
3. Reboot your phone into the bootloader mode. To do so, press and hold Volume DOWN+Power keys together.
4. Choose fastboot mode from the options that appear on your screen.
5. Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable.
6. While the phone is connected to PC, open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop and type in the following commands:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-beta2.img
7. It will begin flashing custom recovery on your phone.
8. When it has done flashing custom recovery on your phone, disconnect it from your PC.
You have successfully flashed the ClockworkMod Recovery on your smartphone. Now is the time to root your phone, move on to the following procedure to do so.
1. Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable.
2. Transfer the Superuser ZIP file to your phone’s SD card storage.
3. After the file transfer has been successfully completed, disconnect your phone from the PC.
4. Turn OFF your smartphone using the Power key.
5. Reboot your phone into the bootloader mode. To do so, press and hold Volume DOWN+Power keys together.
6. Select Recovery from the bootloader mode options.
7. When you enter the ClockworkMod Recovery, choose install zip from sdcard option followed by choose zip from sdcard.
8. Navigate to the Superuser ZIP file you transferred to your phone in Step-2 and select it for flashing.
9. When the flashing is done, simply choose reboot system now from the recovery menu.
When your phone boots up, you will see the Superuser App icon in your phone’s menu. Your phone is now rooted and you can go ahead to try out new apps on your phone which require root access. If you wish, you can install custom ROMs on your phone, we have a good collection of HTC Vivid Custom ROMs.
If this procedure helped you, then please head over to the XDA Forum to thank/donate to the original developer of this root and recovery method !
iPhone Screens and Light Kits on sale for a limited time! Head to the shop to check it out! Dismiss