Google announced the Nexus 7 tablet which runs on the Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean at the Google I/O which was held a few days back in USA. The tablet seems to be a competitor of the Kindle Fire and the price tag it falls in is really reasonable. For $199, you’re getting a tablet with the Android’s latest version. Once you have got the tablet, you should consider rooting it to allow the installation of root-only apps. Following is the guide on how you can root your Nexus 7 tablet as well as how you can load a custom recovery on it.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have ADB along with Fastboot installed on your PC. Learn how to install ADB.
2. Rooting your tablet will void its warranty and it can be gained back only by either installing the stock firmware or unrooting your tablet.
3. Make sure your tablet is charged at least 60% to ensure a smoother process.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. Download the ClockworkMod Recovery Image from here. (First link on that page)
2. Download the Root Package from here. (Second link on that page)
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on Nexus 7:
1. Download and place both the files on your Desktop.
2. On your Nexus 7 tablet, enable USB debugging by navigating to Menu>>Settings>>Developer>>USB debugging.
3. On your PC, copy the Recovery Image file to the Fastboot folder. It should be inside the ADB folder.
4. Connect your tablet to your PC using the USB cable.
5. Open a Command Prompt window where Fastboot and ADB files exist and then type in the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
6. The data on your tablet will be erased. Now, issue the following command using the same Command Prompt window.
fastboot flash recovery CWM-grouper-recovery.img
7. Reboot your device by entering the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
8. After your device has booted up, enter the following commands in the Command Prompt window to make ClockworkMod Recovery permanent on your device:
mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak
Well done, you have successfully installed the ClockworkMod Recovery on your Nexus 7 Tablet. It’s time to root it to enjoy Root-only apps as well as custom ROMs.
IV. Rooting Nexus 7 Tablet on Jelly Bean:
1. Connect your tablet to your PC with the help of the USB cable.
2. Copy the Root Package file to your tablet’s root folder. Do NOT put it in any deep folder.
3. Disconnect your tablet from the PC after you have successfully copied the file.
4. Turn OFF your tablet using the Power button.
5. Press and hold Volume DOWN+Volume UP+Power buttons together to enter into the ClockworkMod Recovery.
6. Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard options.
7. Navigate to the Root Package file and select it for flashing using the Power button.
8. Once the flashing is done, select reboot system now from the recovery menu.
Congratulations ! You have successfully rooted your Nexus 7 Tablet and from now on, you can access a huge number of root-only apps on this tablet.
If this procedure helped you, then please head over to the RootzWiki website to thank/donate to the original developer of this recovery and root method !