While root solutions were working for previous Android versions on the Ascend II, the recent update to 2.3.6, although welcome, broke root for many users that were already rooted. This guide below will help you remedy just that!
1. Back up your data; although this isn’t strictly needed, do it anyway just in case anything goes awry.
2. This procedure should work with both the Straight Talk and US Cellular versions of the same device.
2. Recovery 220.127.116.11.zip [ClockworkMod Recovery]
1. Extract AscendUSBDrivers.zip and double-click on Setup.exe from the extracted folder to install the necessary drivers.
2. Connect your device and copy Root-SuperUser-Universal-Version-1.zip you download above to your SD card.
3. Turn off your phone and boot it into fastboot mode. To do this, press and hold Volume Down and Power until it goes into fastboot mode.
4. Connect your device to your PC now in fastboot mode and let it install the necessary drivers if any.
5. Extract Recovery 18.104.22.168.zip to a folder on your desktop.
4. From the extracted folder, run the files in the following order
Your device should now reboot into CWM Recovery
5. Use the Volume keys to navigate and select Mounts and Storage with the Power button.
6. Select Mount System.
7. Go back to the main menu by selecting Back and then select Install zip from SD card.
8. Select Choose zip from SD Card.
9. Locate and select Root-SuperUser-Universal-Version-1.zip with the Power button to flash it.
10. Once flashed, go back to previous menu by selecting Back and then reboot the device.
Your Ascend II should now be rooted!!
All credit goes to jonhaney for creating the root file and for modifying CWM to suit the Ascend II! If you think he deserves a thank you, head to his thread here and do so!