There’s a simple workaround to root the CDMA variant of the HTC EVO 3D smartphone and it takes help of a custom recovery to do that. If you happen to own this device and attracted by the goodies rooted users are having on their devices, follow our guide and you should end up with root access on your device.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have unlocked bootloader of your device. You can do so from here.
2. You should be running on the Android Ice Cream Sandwich version.
3. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. HTC Drivers (Download link’s given in the first post)
2. S-OFF Tools (Download link’s given in the first post)
3. Flashable SU (Download link’s given in the first post)
III. Installing 4EXT Recovery on the HTV EVO 3D CDMA:
1. Download and place all the files onto your Desktop.
2. Double-click the HTC Drivers executable file to install the drivers.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the drivers for your device on the PC.
4. Extract files from the S-OFF Tools archive to the Desktop of your PC.
5. Enable USB debugging on your device by going to Menu>>Settings>>Developer Options>>USB Debugging, check-mark the box.
6. Connect your device to the PC using the USB cable.
7. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. To do so, press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, choose the Open command window here option.
8. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window you just opened:
adb push recovery.img /sdcard/
adb push Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip /sdcard/
9. After the files have been pushed to your device, issue the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
10. Once your device enters the Fastboot mode, type in the following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
11. It should flash the custom recovery on your device. After it has done doing so, just issue the following command to reboot your device into the recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
12. From the Menu of the Recovery, select tools followed by enable 4EXT smartflash.
13. Come back to the Main Menu of the Recovery once again.
14. Select install zip from sdcard followed by toggle script asserts. You need to enable this option.
15. Select choose zip from sdcard and navigate to the /sdcard/ path of your device and choose the Flashable SU file to be flashed on your device.
16. Reboot your device after the file has been flashed on your device.
17. When your device reboots, just open up the Superuser app and use the update binaries option to update the binaries on your device.
Congratulations ! Your HTC device has successfully been rooted and you now have a custom recovery on your device. It is enough for you to get the root-only apps up and running on your device !
IV. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the HTV EVO 3D CDMA to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.