The T-Mobile version of the LG Optimus supports the ClockworkMod Recovery allowing you to play with custom ROMs and tweaks just like you’re now playing with apps on your smartphone. A custom recovery has become an essential part of a rooted phone and if you haven’t yet installed it on your device, here’s how you can do it. The following guide shows you how you can install ClockworkMod Recovery on the LG Optimus T smartphone.
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Please head to our How to Root the LG Optimus T procedure first, finish it, then return to this procedure and continue.
2. Make sure your device has at least 60% of battery life left.
1. Flash Image (Download link’s given in the second post)
2. Recovery Image (Download link’s given in the second post)
3. Terminal Emulator (Google Play Link)
1. Download and place both the archives on your Desktop.
2. Install the Terminal Emulator App on your device from Google Play.
3. Extract files from both the archives to your Desktop. You should get a Recovery Image and a Flash Image file.
4. Connect the device to your PC using the USB cable.
5. Copy the Recovery Image and Flash Image files over to the root folder of your SD card.
6. Disconnect the device after the files have been copied to the device.
7. Launch the Terminal Emulator App on your device from the Menu.
8. Run the following command using the app:
9. It should ask for Superuser permission, tap the Allow button.
10. Now, run the following commands using the app. Press ENTER after each line:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
(IMPORTANT NOTE - If you get an error on the line above such as "file does not exist" ignore the error and keep going.)
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-OPT-T-test.img
11. Your device should reboot into the ClockworkMod Recovery Mode.
Congrats! Your LG Optimus T now have the CWM Recovery installed on it and custom ROMs are just a few taps away from you!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the LG Optimus T to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.