The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 was released last October and came with features like a 8.9-inch screen (as its name suggests), a dual-core 1GHz CPU with 1GB of RAM, and all the other usual components associated with a tablet running Android OS. If you own this device and are looking for a easy rooting guide, look no more as the below procedure is as easy as it gets. Read on then to know how to root your Galaxy Tab 8.9.
I. Before You Begin
1. Back up everything that you feel is important.
2. Make sure that you have your device charged to 75% or more before you begin with this procedure.
3. Ensure that you have the necessary Samsung USB drivers before you begin with the procedure. If you haven’t already done so, get the Samsung drivers and install them before you start.
II. Necessary Downloads
root_original.zip [File attached to this post]
III. Rooting the Galaxy Tab 8.9
1. Connect your device to your PC and copy the root_original.zip file you downloaded above to your device’s internal SD card.
2. Disconnect and turn off your device.
3. Press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons for 15 seconds.
4. When you see two icons on your device’s screen, release the buttons and press the Volume Down button to highlight the recovery mode option (the little box icon).
5. Press Volume Up to select the recovery mode option.
6. Once you are in recovery mode, use the Volume Up and Down keys to navigate to the apply zip from SD card option and press the Power button to select it.
7. Locate the root_original.zip you copied above and press the power button to select it.
8. Select Apply root_original.zip on the next screen.
9. Reboot once done.
You are now rooted but you’ll need the Superuser app to grant access to any root-requiring app that asks for permission. To get the Superuser app:
1. Go to the Play Store on your device or the web version and find Superuser.
2. Click on Install.
IV. Flashing Custom Recovery (Optional)
If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.