The Samsung Galaxy R is an Android device that was released in August 2011 and is pretty packed with a dual-core 1GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM and a spacious 4.2 inch LCD display. While it did come out with Gingerbread on board, Samsung did eventually release the Android 4.0.4 update for the device but that’s where Samsung put a halt on future updates. If you want to try Jelly Bean though, you’ll need to root and install ClockworkMod Recovery on your device before you can flash a JB-based custom ROM. This post will show you how to be done with one of those two aspects – installing a ClockworkMod Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy R.
I. Before You Begin
1. Make sure that you have backed up everything you feel is important before you proceed.
2. Charge your device to more than 75% before you begin.
II. Necessary Downloads
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Galaxy R
1. Power down your device.
2. Press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons until your device enters Download Mode.
3. Extract cwm_188.8.131.52_for_i9103.zip to a folder on your desktop. You should end up with two files called cwm.tar and cwm.apk.
4. Extract the Odin 1.85.rar file you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
5. From the extracted folder, double-click on Odin3 v1.85.exe to run the tool.
6. Click on PDA button, locate cwm.tar and click on OK to load it on Odin.
7. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable. Odin should now recognize your device and light up the ID:COM field yellow to signify this. If not, reinstall the proper drivers and try again.
8. Make sure that the Re-Partition and Flash Lock are unchecked; this is important as you might brick your device if these options are ticked!
9. Click on Start.
Once Odin says PASS and your device reboots, you should have ClockworkMod Recovery running on your Samsung Galaxy R!
IV. Rooting the Samsung Galaxy R
Head to our next procedure if you want to root your Galaxy R.
V. Flashing Custom ROMs (Optional)
If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the next procedure to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.