The Nook Tablet was announced about a year ago and it was intended to be in the hands of the eBook readers. While it can be used to read the eBooks, there’re so many other uses of it since it runs on Android. If you’ve purchased this tablet and looking for a way to root it, here’s a nice guide for you. The following guide shows you how easily you can root your Nook Tablet by just following simple steps.
I. Before You Begin:
1. This will void the warranty of your device. Keep this in mind and go ahead.
2. You must have a SD card having capacity of at least 2GB.
3. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. Root Package (Download link’s given at bottom in the post)
III. Rooting the Nook Tablet:
1. Download and place the Root Package archive on your Desktop. It has all the files you’ll need to root your device.
2. Extract files from the Root Package archive to your Desktop.
3. You will get another ZIP archive named single.zip. Extract files from it to your Desktop.
4. Insert the SD card in your Nook Tablet. The card will be formatted so make sure you don’t have any important data stored on it.
5. Connect your tablet to your PC via USB cable.
6. Double-click on the image flasher.exe file you extracted to your Desktop.
7. From inside the program, select .img file you extracted to your Desktop.
8. Choose the drive of your SD card in the program and hit Write.
9. When it’s done, copy the .zip file containing Superuser over to the root of your SD card.
10. Turn OFF your tablet.
11. Remove the SD card from your tablet.
12. Now, while your tablet’s turned OFF, press and hold the N+Power buttons together.
13. Insert the SD card in your tablet.
14. Turn ON your tablet normally as you would always do.
15. The CWM Recovery will boot up on your tablet.
16. From the Recovery Menu, choose flash update.zip followed by Select from SD card.
17. Select the ZIP archive you copied earlier to the root of your SD card.
18. Let it finish flashing the file.
19. When it’s done, reboot your device.
Wonderful! Your Nook Tablet has now successfully been rooted. You should see the Superuser app right on your Menu to grant system access to root-only apps!
Remove the SD card from your device, format it using your PC and then re-insert it in your device. This will remove the auto-boot capability from your SD card making it as normal as it was.
IV. Flash a Custom Recovery Image (Optional):
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the Nook Tablet to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.