If the root access on your HTC ChaCha can’t satisfy you, as it just allows installation of root-only apps, you should move your head over to a custom recovery. A custom recovery will let you install custom ROMs which offer far more customization options that you wouldn’t usually get by installing apps. If this seems interesting to you, follow our guide below and get the ClockworkMod Recovery running on your HTC ChaCha.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Just head here and follow the instructions to root the device.
2. This should replace the stock recovery on your device with a custom recovery.
3. Make sure your device’s charged to last till the end of the process.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. ClockworkMod Recovery Image (Download link’s given in the first post, in step-3)
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the HTC ChaCha:
1. Download and place both the files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Fastboot archive to your Desktop. Do NOT launch any files just yet.
3. Enable the USB debugging option on your device from Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development>>USB debugging.
4. Connect the device to your PC via USB cable.
5. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop. It can be done by pressing and holding the Shift button on your keyboard and right-clicking on any empty area on the screen, then select Open command window here.
6. Type in following commands into the Command Prompt Window:
adb reboot bootloader
7. The device should reboot into the bootloader mode, usually known as HBOOT mode.
8. Once you enter the bootloader mode, choose Fastboot option.
9. Next, enter following commands into the Command Prompt Window:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
10. Let it flash the recovery file.
11. Once it’s done, issue the following command:
12. The device should reboot and you’re all done!
Brilliant! Your device’s now equipped with a custom recovery called ClockworkMod, it’s waiting to be tested out by you!
IV. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the HTC ChaCha to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.