Ever since its inception, WhatsApp Messenger has been a great tool to have conversations with your friends or relatives regardless of what device you have. With cross-platform support, the app has really gotten tremendous popularity among the various device users, such as Android and iPhone. Once the app’s installed, you are almost ready to share the content with your friends either in the form of text or multimedia content, it supports both. According to Google Play, the app has been downloaded more than 500000k times and it’s taking no name to slow down.
The big concern people have when they use such messengers is what they would do if they change their phone? Would they be able to get their messages backed up and then get restored on the new device? In the case of WhatsApp, it’s possible. You can take backups of your messages and then restore them on your new device, it’s that simple. To help you do this effortlessly, we’ve got a nice guide just below. Follow all the steps and your messages should be backed up.
1. Open the WhatsApp app on your device from the App Drawer.
2. Press the Menu key and then tap Settings option.
3. Navigate to Chat settings section.
4. Once there, tap on Backup conversations option.
5. All your messages will then be backed up.
Great! You now have a safe-copy of all your messages. To restore the backup of messages, follow the following steps:
1. Copy the WhatsApp folder located inside your SD card storage on your old device to your PC.
2. Make sure that the WhatsApp app is NOT installed on your new device. If it is, uninstall it.
3. Copy that WhatsApp folder from your PC over to the SD card of your new device.
4. Install the WhatsApp App on your new device and it should ask you if you want to restore your backup, hit Yes.
5. You’re all done!
Brilliant! All your messages have been restored on your new device, allowing you to start your conversation from the point you left off.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.