Although the LG Optimus 4X has got quite great specifications, it still runs the Android Ice Cream Sandwich and no Jelly Bean update has been announced, yet. I know most of you might be eagerly waiting for the update to arrive, but the fact is there’s no word from LG regarding the update roll out. Well, you don’t have to be disappointed, as the XDA Developers have come to rescue the said device users. As a result of all the efforts made by the developers, we now have a custom recovery for the Optimus 4x HD device. A custom recovery means a lot for the users, as it lets users flash custom ROMs based on Jelly Bean regardless of what software version they currently have on their devices. If you’re interested in giving custom ROMs a shot, you can follow our guide below to install ClockworkMod Recovery on the LG Optimus 4x HD.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have done our How to Root the LG Optimus 4X HD procedure first.
2. At least 60% of battery level is recommended before you start.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. ClockworkMod Recovery (It’s attached in the first post)
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the LG Optimus 4X HD:
1. Place the CWM Recovery archive you just downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Unzip files from the archive to your Desktop. You should get an APK file.
3. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
4. Copy the APK file over to the root of your SD card. It’s the topmost folder.
5. Once it’s copied, disconnect the device from your PC.
6. Open the File Manager on your device and install the APK you just copied.
7. Once it’s installed, do NOT launch it, just reboot the device.
8. When the device boots up, launch the app from your App Drawer.
9. Tap on Install recovery button in the app.
10. It should ask you to provide Superuser access, hit the Grant button.
11. It will then install the CWM Recovery on your device.
12. Once the recovery’s installed, you can tap the boot recovery button to reboot the device into Recovery mode.
13. You’re all set!
Great! The custom recovery has been successfully flashed on the device and you can boot into the same by simply tapping a button. You can now install custom ROMs or Tweaks, choice is yours!
IV. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the LG Optimus 4X HD to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.