The LG Optimus 4X HD started booming in the markets as soon as it arrived and why it shouldn’t do, it’s got a 1.5GHz Quad-core processor that provides far better performance than those dual-core ones and there’s 1GB of RAM equipped in the device. On the software-side, the device runs on the Android Ice Cream Sandwich, a bit older if you’ve seen Jelly Bean running on the devices. The device in talk is rootable, all thanks to the XDA Developers. A rooted device provides more options and features than what you find in an unrooted one and if you’re ready to root your LG Optimus 4X HD smartphone, then jump onto the guide below.
1. This will void the warranty of the device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting the device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only.
1. SystemBackupTest APK (It’s attached in the first post)
2. o4xr (It’s attached in the first post)
3. LG United Drivers (It’s attached in the first post)
1. Place all three files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from 04xr as well as Drivers archive to your Desktop.
3. Install Drivers using the files you extracted from the archive.
4. Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
5. Copy the APK file you downloaded over to the root of your SD card.
6. Once file’s copied, disconnect the device from your PC.
7. On your device, head to Menu>>Settings>>Security and enable the Unknown sources option.
8. Enable the USB debugging function as well by heading to Menu>>Settings>>Developer options>>USB debugging.
9. Open the File Manager on your device and tap on the APK file and install it.
10. Once installed, launch it from Menu.
11. While the app’s running, hold down the Power button and choose the Reboot option.
12. The device should stuck in bootloop. It’s normal and just move to the next step.
13. Connect the device to your PC via USB cable.
14. Open a Command Prompt Window on your Desktop where root files are located. To do so, press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click on any empty area on the screen, then choose Open command window here.
15. Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window:
16. Wait till it roots the device.
17. Once rooted, the device should boot into Normal mode.
18. Launch Google Play and search for the SuperSU app.
19. Hit Update button and the app will be updated.
20. Launch the SuperSU app on your device and it should ask you to update binaries, hit Yes.
21. You’re all done!
Awesome! You should now have root access on your device and the installation of root-only apps is now possible. The SuperSU app will pop-up when you start a root-only app and you’ve to hit the Grant button to provide root access to that specific app!
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the LG Optimus 4X HD to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.