The word jailbreak was used only for the Apple devices until Microsoft launched the Surface RT tablet and now this device shares the same word with almost same work. Jailbreaking the Surface RT will let you install unsigned apps available outside of the market, similar to Cydia for iPhone. Such hacking will really help Microsoft to boost their sales of the tablet and have more conversation going on about the device at places like web forums and blogs. If you’ve been holding the device in your hands and looking for a way to get the unsigned apps working, we can help you with that. The following guide shows how you can jailbreak the Microsoft RT tablet and remove the restrictions imposed by the manufacturer.
1. This doesn’t void the warranty as the jailbreaking goes away each time you reboot the device.
2. Make sure the device is charged fully or has at least 50% of battery life left.
1. RT Jailbreak Tool (It’s attached in the first post)
1. Place the Jailbreak Tool archive on the Desktop of your PC.
2. Extract files from the archive to your Desktop.
3. Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
4. Copy all the files you just extracted over to the storage of your device.
5. Once copied, disconnect the device from your PC.
6. Now, on the device, click on runExploit.bat file you just copied.
7. Agree to the Terms and Conditions shown on the screen.
8. Sign-in with your existing Microsoft Account.
9. It’ll then ask you to press Y if you want to continue the process, just press it.
10. Follow the on-screen instructions.
11. And you’re jailbroken now!
Great! Your Surface RT is now jailbroken and is compatible with the apps downloaded from outside the market. Make sure that you download apps only from trusted sources, otherwise, you’ll end up getting virus-infected apps.
EDIT (01.24.13): Since the device runs on an ARM processor and most Windows programs are written for non-ARM devices, most apps will still NOT install on your RT tablet. This jailbreak simply allows you to install non market ARM programs (of which there are not many honestly). For a list of apps, you can install, head here.
According to the developer, the device remains in jailbroken status until you reboot it. Once you reboot the device, you’ll have to follow the jailbreaking procedure once again to install unsigned apps!
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
iPhone Screens and Light Kits on sale for a limited time! Head to the shop to check it out! Dismiss