Smartphones that are provided by the carries often have bloatware preloaded on them and unless you’re in love with your carrier, you won’t like it at all. The best way to get rid of such bloatware is root the device and then manually remove the carrier apps, this sounds simple and good. A root method has recently been discovered for the Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phablet and it allows you to have access to system files and even rights to modify them. If you own the said device and find the preloaded apps junk and nothing else, you should better be rooting the device using our guide given below. It explains how you can root your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 smartphone.
I. Before You Begin:
1. This will void the warranty of your device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting the device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. Make sure your device’s charged fully or has at least 60% of battery life left.
3. You must have drivers for your device installed on your PC. You can get them from here.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. Odin (Download link’s given in the first post, in section-1)
2. Rooted Image (Download link’s given in the first post, in section-1)
III. Rooting the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Verizon):
1. Place both the files you downloaded to your Desktop.
2. Extract files from both the archives to your Desktop. You should get Odin executable and the rooted image (.tar.md5)
3. Double-click on the Odin executable file and it’ll launch.
4. Click on PDA and select the Rooted Image file you extracted to your Desktop.
5. Make sure that the Auto Reboot option is unchecked.
6. Turn OFF your device.
7. Reboot the device into Download mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume DOWN+Home+Power buttons together.
8. A warning screen should appear, just press the Volume UP key.
9. Connect the device to your PC via USB cable.
10. One of the boxes in Odin should turn Yellow and that means your device’s been recognized by the tool.
11. Click on the Start button and it’ll start flashing the rooted image.
12. After a few minutes, you should see a green message saying Passed.
13. Pull the battery out of your device.
14. Put it back into the device but don’t turn ON the device.
15. While the device’s turned OFF, press and hold Volume UP+Home+Power buttons together.
16. You should boot into the Stock Recovery mode.
17. In the Recovery, choose Wipe cache option to wipe off all the cache.
18. Once done, reboot the device by choosing reboot system now option.
19. You’re all done!
Brilliant! Your device has been rooted successfully and you can confirm it by installing the Root Checker app. The whole world of root-only apps is now open for you!
IV. Flash a Custom Recovery Image (Optional):
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Verizon) to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.