Cricket users of the Samsung Galaxy S3 can now use root-only apps and custom ROMs on their device as a root method has become available for the device. It’s not possible to install root-only apps, such as Titanium Backup, on an unrooted device but if you get root access, you can certainly enjoy such apps without any issues on your device. While we already have guides for other variants of the Galaxy S3, this time we’ve the root method guide for Samsung Galaxy S3 (Cricket) smartphone. Follow all the steps mentioned in the following guide carefully and you should end up with root access on your device.
I. Before You Begin:
1. This should void the warranty of the device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting the device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. The following procedure works on Windows based PCs only. Sorry Mac and Linux!
3. Make sure you’ve appropriate drivers installed on your device. If you don’t, you can get them from here.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. Root Package (Download link’s available in the first post)
III. Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S3 (Cricket):
1. Download and place the Root Package archive onto your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the archive to your Desktop.
3. On your device, head to Menu>>Settings>>Security and enable the Unknown sources option.
4. Turn ON the USB debugging option as well by simply heading to Menu>>Settings>>Developer options>>USB debugging.
5. Once both are enabled, connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
6. Launch the Root Tool by double-clicking on RootDebugfs.bat file.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions.
8. And you should be rooted now!
Congrats! You’ve successfully achieved root access on your Samsung Galaxy S3 running on Cricket. Root-only apps should now start working fine on your device!
IV. Flash a Custom Recovery Image (Optional):
1. If you would like to flash a custom recovery image in order to flash custom ROMs, head to the How To Flash a Custom Recovery Image on the Samsung Galaxy S3 (Cricket) to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.