Just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G with QWERTY keypad smartphone and looking for a way to root it? Can’t live without root-only apps? Neither can we. As soon as the device arrived in market, the developers began their work and as always, they got success in rooting this device. Root access has been achieved on the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and if you’re interested in rooting yours, then the guide below should help you do that.
1. This will void the warranty of your device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting your device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. This should work on Windows based PCs only.
1. ClockworkMod Recovery (It’s attached in the post)
2. SuperSU (Download the Recovery flashable version)
1. Download and place all the files onto your Desktop.
2. Extract files from the Odin archive over to your Desktop.
3. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
4. Copy the SuperSU file over to the root of your SD card.
5. Once the file’s been copied, unplug your device from your PC.
6. Double-click on the Odin executable file and it’ll launch.
7. Click on PDA and select the ClockworkMod Recovery file you have placed on your Desktop.
8. Checkmark the box that says F. Reset Time. Leave the Auto Reboot and Repartition boxes unchecked.
9. Turn OFF your device.
10. Reboot your device into Download mode. To do that, simply hold down the Volume DOWN+Home buttons together while connecting the device to your PC via USB cable.
11. Hit Start in Odin and it’ll start flashing the file.
12. Once the file’s been flashed, do NOT turn ON your device in normal mode, just follow the instructions in the next section.
1. Pull the battery out of your device.
2. Put it back into the device.
3. Press and hold the Volume UP+Home+Power buttons together and your device should reboot into Recovery mode.
4. From there, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
5. Select the SuperSU file you copied earlier to your device for flashing.
6. It’ll start flashing the file.
7. Once the flashing’s done, reboot your device.
8. You’re all set!
Brilliant! You’ve successfully rooted your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G smartphone. You now have a working custom recovery as well to flash custom ROMs and Mods!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (SGH-T699) to learn how to do that.
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here and here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.