Today in NYC, T-Mobile held a press event that unveiled their “boldest moves yet” and we’ve got all the highlights just for you. In case you missed the live coverage you can grab the important information below and live vicariously through our extensive live blog.
- A system that lets customers upgrade their handsets up to twice a year.
- $10 (per phone, plus applicable taxes and other fees) a month deal is a total protection plan that helps out with malfunctions, damage, thefts and loss of handsets.
- Those interested are able to enroll as soon as six months after joining up. After that time, subscribers can trade in a working, eligible phone to a T-Mobile store.
- Equipment Installment Program fees will be eliminated, and they’ll be able to buy a new phone for a new customer upfront price.
LTE Network Expansion:
- 157 million potential customers with access to LTE
- 4G now launched in 116 metro areas
- Could match its HSPA+ footprint within a year
Sony Xperia Z
- On sale now at Sony’s online and retail stores for $25 a month on an installment plan or $580 outright.
- Phone reaches T-Mobile’s stores on July 17th; wait until then and you can either pay the full $580 price or put $100 down for the installment option
Nokia Lumia 925
- On sale July 17th for the low, low price of $49.99 down with 24 monthly payments of $20 thereafter.
- Available with no credit check
Thanks for joining us for the T-Mobile Live Event, we are going to go hands on and get back ASAP. We have a feeling that the carrier will be launching Nokia’s Lumia 925 on its network, though we may also see the waterproof Sony Xperia Z. Tune in to find out!
Thankfully they gave us umbrellas.
Just enjoying some serious Rolling Stones on the loudspeakers in the mean time.
The event just started. Short film playing: “In March we made some big news” (They dropped their contract plan)
T-Mobile’s CEO John Legere just took the stage. “I’ve got a bunch of things to talk about today. We’ve been quiet for a month or two.”
He started using Twitter. ” I don’t like the idea of these people following you”.
Joking aside, he wants to speak the truth using Twitter and try to “not be an analyst” and focus on sales numbers but focus on the customers.
“Do what customers want”
“Announcing JUMP (Just Upgrade My Phone)”
JUMP costs $10 per month and also comes with phone insurance
Showing us the first in a series of JUMP! TV commercials. Starring SNL’s Bill Hader
New tagline “upgrade when you want, not when you’re told”
Mike Sievert, marketing chief, is now on the stage.
The JUMP program will be available starting six months into the contract.
“You never have to pay more as an existing customer than a new customer would pay.”
New hashtag and social media contest #hate2wait
Giving away 730 galaxy S4s to contest winners. Grand prize is an S4, plus one year of free t-mobile service and your submission will be part of a national ad campaign.
Talking about family plans now.
“1/3 of U.S. families do not qualify for valuable family discounts due to credit issues”
T Mobile is introducing unlimited family plans regardless of credit. No Credit Checks.
Mentioned the Sony Xperia Z for the first time.
“Sony Xperia Z Through T-Mobile Available for $99 Down”
Now it’s Q&A time. Everyone back on stage plus T-Mobile’s chief financial officer.
T-Mobile Lumia 925 Available July 17 for $49.99 Down
“The refurbished devices will be T-Mobile certified and will also be “JUMP!-eligible”
Q&A is over. Now it’s time to play with all the smartphones.