The Motorola Defy Mini XT320 is not exactly a new device; far from it, this device is almost one and a half years old and should already be forgotten by many. But we are writing this post with the ones who still own this device and some who brought this recently, and who want something more from this low-end Android smartphone. The obvious way to do this of course is to root it first and then install a custom recovery (TWRP in this case), and try finding a custom ROM for this aging device. The guide below should take care of the first step in the whole process – rooting the Motorola Defy Mini XT320
I. Before You Begin
1. You will need to have fastboot enabled on your device for this procedure to work. If you are unsure of this, check this post and come back here to continue with the procedure.
2. Back up anything you feel is important before you begin and charge your device to 75% or more before you start to prevent unwanted shutdowns during the procedure.
II. Necessary Downloads
III. Rooting the Motorola Defy Mini XT320
1. Put your device into fastboot mode. To do this, with your device powered down, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down and Power buttons for 5 to 10 seconds until you see a screen with FASTBOOT MODE in red at the top of your screen. If you don’t see this or you see something like an Android logo + the Android flashing icon, you will need to get fastboot working before you start (check #1 in Section I of this post).
2. Connect your device (now in fastboot mode) to your PC using a compatible microUSB cable.
3. Double-click on the DefyMiniUtility.exe to run the tool.
4. Type in 1 and hit the Enter key on your keyboard to start the rooting process.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for your device to reboot.
At the end of the procedure, your Defy Mini XT320 should be rooted and ready to take on a custom recovery!
IV. Unrooting the Motorola Defy Mini XT320
Follow the same steps as in the previous section but on step #4, type in 4 instead of 1 and follow the on-screen instructions.
V. Installing Custom Recovery
Use our guide to help you with installing a custom recovery on your Defy Mini if you plan to flash custom ROMs on it!
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.