Rooting your device allows you to load so-called root-only apps on your device that let you play around with your device without any restrictions at all. You get full access to all the features of your device and you can even change your firmware. Sounds exciting? huh. Let’s see how you can root your Samsung Galaxy Centura (Straight Talk) and get the most out of it:
1. This will void the warranty of your device. However, you can reinstate the warranty by unrooting your device if there’s any unrooting procedure available.
2. This should only work on Windows based PCs.
1. CWM Recovery (Download link’s given in the thread)
2. Odin (Download link’s given in the thread)
3. Root Package (Download link’s given in the thread)
1. Place all the files you’ve downloaded onto your Desktop.
2. Extract files from Odin as well as Root Package archives over to your Desktop.
3. Double-click on the Odin executable file and it’ll open.
4. Click on PDA and choose the CWM Recovery file available on your Desktop.
5. Turn OFF your device.
6. Turn it back on by holding down Volume DOWN+Power buttons together.
7. Your device should now be in Download mode.
8. Plug in your device to your PC using the USB cable.
9. Hit Start in the Odin and it’ll begin flashing the recovery on your device.
10. Once the recovery’s been flashed, reboot your device.
11. You’re done!
Great! Your device’s been successfully equipped with a custom recovery. Let’s see how you can root your device!
1. Copy the folder named root that you extracted from the Root Package over to the /clockworkmod/backup/ directory on your device.
2. Once it’s been copied, disconnect your device from your PC.
3. Turn OFF your device.
4. Turn it back on by holding down Volume UP+Power buttons together.
5. You should now be in Recovery mode.
6. Select backup followed by restore and choose the root file to be installed on your device.
7. It should begin installing it on your device.
8. Once it’s been installed, reboot your device.
9. When you reboot for the first time, it’ll ask you to do an update. Just allow it to do so.
10. You’ll again be taken to the recovery mode. When in there, select No and you’re done.
11. You’re all set!
Excellent! Your device’s been successfully rooted and you also have a working custom recovery up and running on your device! Enjoy the custom goodness on your device!
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Centura (Straight Talk) to learn how to do that.