Every Android device has, what is called, a recovery image on it. This is basically a part of the Android operating system that you or the manufacturer can access if your device becomes unresponsive and then use it to restore your device.
A custom recovery image, however, is a recovery image that a developer has altered that can not only help the device if it becomes responsive, but also has the added benefits of allowing us to make major changes to the operating system and have even further customizations on your device.
In this procedure, we’ll show you how to flash a custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2.
After flashing a custom recovery on Galaxy Prevail 2, you’ll be able to:
- Perform full backups of your device (literally save EVERYTHING from it).
- Increase your device’s performance (after flashing something called a kernel).
- Increase your device’s battery life.
- Flash custom ROMs (these make it possible to flash a newer version of Android, totally new user interfaces, add tons of new features, and much more).
Interested? Here’s how to flash a custom recovery on your Galaxy Prevail 2:
I. Before You Begin
1. Make sure that you have a backup of everything important before you start.
2. Charge your device to 75% or more before you begin.
3. Make sure the necessary Windows 7 drivers are in place before you start; installing Kies usually takes care of this.
4. You need to be rooted for this procedure to work. If you are not already, use our guide to achieve root access.
II. Necessary Downloads
1. CWM_Prevail2_Ring_Koumajutsu.tar [Link available in this post]
III. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the Galaxy Prevail 2
1. Extract the Odin 1.85.rar file you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.
2. From the extracted folder, double-click on Odin3 v1.85.exe to run the tool.
3. Put your device into download mode. To do this, with the device off, press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons until it gets to download mode. Also, take off the back cover of the device as you will have to pull the battery at the said time.
4. Connect your device to your PC using a compatible microUSB cable. The ID:COM field on Odin should now light up yellow to signify that your device is connected and recognized properly. If not, reinstall drivers and try again.
5. Click on BOOTLOADER button, locate CWM_Prevail2_Ring_Koumajutsu.tar you downloaded above and click on OK to load it on Odin.
6. Make sure that the Re-Partition and Flash Lock are unchecked; this is important as you might brick your device if these options are ticked!
7. Click on Start.
8. Once Odin says PASS! and your device is rebooting, pull the battery immediately, put it back in and press and hold the Volume Up + Power buttons to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. This is done to prevent the device from overwriting CWM with the stock recovery.
All set! Now, you can head to our How to Flash a Custom ROM procedure for the Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2 to open up a whole new world of customizations for your Android device!
By the way, don’t be scared, you can always put your device back to stock by heading to our Rooting How To’s section, finding your device, and doing the How to Unroot listed for it there.