For the average user out shooting selfies on the weekend, the iPhone’s built-in camera does everything they need and then some. When you are ready to move up to the next level, your existing iPhone has the capability to capture some truly mind-blowing images. All you need to do is make sure you have the best camera accessories for iPhone, both before and after the shoot. Get ready to see, document and share a new world that will defy your imagination.
1. GripTight GorillaPod Tripod by Joby
You probably know by now that you will need a tripod for taking clear pictures without blurs, for videos that don’t jump around and for low-light situations. What you may not realize is that you will sometimes need to mount a tripod on an uneven surface, like a rock. What if the perfect picture demands that you mount your iPhone on a tree branch?
You will need a tripod with flexible legs that wrap around any structure and conform to any surface. Joby’s GorillaPod has three legs made of flexible, wrappable joints for precision stability anywhere.
- Steady shots on any surface, even in a tree.
- Rubber pads on the feet to prevent slipping.
- Easily compacts to go anywhere.
Find it at: GripTight GorillaPod
2. OLALA Portable Charger Ultra Slim Power Bank
Some of the most original images can only be found miles away from any wall outlet or car charger. Don’t let these rare moments slip away. Even the best camera gear won’t help unless you have an easy way to instantly charge your iPhone in the wild. This portable battery pack and lightning cable is the must-have accessory that you didn’t know you needed.
OLALA has built one of the world’s thinnest travel chargers. It looks great, fits in your pocket or bag, and can charge your iPhone, iPad tablet and even certain types of Android phones.
- Slim, compact design that matches Apple’s style.
- Built-in lightning cable so you don’t have to worry about losing it.
- Full charge can power up your iPhone 6 at least 2.3 times or iPhone 6P 1.4 times.
- Certified by Apple’s MFi (Made for iPhone) program.
Find it at: OLALA Ultra Slim Power Bank
3. Veho MUVI X-Lapse 360-Degree Photography and Time Lapse Device
You’ve seen all the cool videos of cities sped up or the stars spinning in the night sky. Maybe you want to record the sunrise or a flower opening. The best camera gear lets you experiment with time lapse videos to investigate the hidden world of gradual changes. If you have a standard SLR camera or GoPro, the X-Lapse will turns them into panoramic or time lapse cameras as well.
- Make time lapse films that last 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes that can be edited together.
- Take steady, clear panoramic images, ranging from 90 degrees to a full 360 degrees.
- Compact, lightweight and mounts with iPhone clips or a standard camera tripod thread.
Find it at: Veho MUVI X-Lapse
4. Olloclip Macro Lens
Get closer. Reveal the majestic wonder of a friend’s eye or the mysterious texture on the surface of a flower. This macro lens will open up a new world of images at the level of the very small. You can switch out lenses for deeper magnifications. Combine them with the built-in digital zoom to get 80X magnification. Under the extremes of harsh daylight or low light, use the InstaFocus hoods to diffuse or collect more light. If you use it frequently, you’ll want to add an iPhone olloCase that makes it easier to clip on the lenses quickly.
- Greatly expands your range of subjects.
- Transforms common objects into works of art.
- Lenses with 7x, 14x and 21x magnification.
- Includes InstaFocus to diffuse light.
- Precision coated ground glass optics deliver superior clarity.
Find it at: Olloclip Macro Pro Lens
5. Waterproof Housing/Case Kit by Watershot PRO Line
About three-quarters of the Earth is underwater, so prepare yourself to take some amazing pictures down there. You’ll be able to take your iPhone to places you’ve never imagined with this rugged camera housing.
The free Watershot app that accompanies it makes it easy to share your images on Facebook or Twitter while your phone is still in the housing. GPS overlays and rapid fire shutter options turns you into a professional deep sea photographer, even if you are snorkeling for the first time.
- Comes with interchangeable flat and a fish-eye lenses.
- Depth rated to an astounding 195 feet or 60 meters.
- Wear, tear, shock and pressure shielded.
6. PhoneDrone Ethos Quadcopter for the iPhone
There are plenty of drones on the commercial market that can be controlled by an iPhone. This drone is different because it actually gives your iPhone wings. The PhoneDrone is essentially an exoskeleton that turns your iPhone into an autonomous quadcopter drone. You can’t buy it anywhere yet, but you can pre-order one on the project’s Kickstarter page, which has already been fully funded.
- Autoland function safely returns your phone to the ground no matter what.
- Shock-resistant and built to float in water.
- Has the ability to follow a signal from another phone or smartwatch.
- Periscope lens opens up angles other than straight up or down.
Find it at: PhoneDrone Ethos
New technology is coming online constantly, so no list of the best camera gear for iPhone can stay current for very long. Just remember that it’s the image that matters. Some people are still taking breathtaking pictures with ancient equipment, but you don’t have to be one of them. Before the shoot, get the waterproof case and a flexible tripod. Carry special lenses with you because inspiration strikes at the oddest times. Finally, if you’re not getting what you want, change your altitude with a drone-mounted camera. If you have tried any of the above accessories or have some of your own suggestions, we’d love to hear your ideas and see your images in the comments below.