How To: Jailbreak iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS on iOS 4.1, iPad and iPod
I. Before You Begin
1. This works on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, iPod Touch 4G, and the iPad. It works on all versions up to 4.1.
2. The LimeRa1n jailbreak also SUPPOSEDLY works on any iOS versions above 4.1 as it is using an exploit in the bootrom (which cannot be updated by Apple with their normal firmware updates).
3. WARNING: IF YOU HAVE AN iPHONE 4 AND NEED TO HAVE IT UNLOCKED, DO NOT UPDATE TO iOS 4.1 YET AS EVEN AFTER USING THIS METHOD TO JAILBREAK YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UNLOCK THE PHONE YET. Use our How To Update Your iPhone 4 to iOS 4.1 without Losing the Unlock (Coming Soon) THEN come back to this procedure and continue from Section III (do NOT do Section II as you already updated using the alternative method above).
II. Update the Device to iOS 4.1 (if you don’t have it yet, otherwise skip to Section III).
1. Download the 4.1 update for your device (or the lastest version for the iPad) if you don’t already have it from here:
Make sure to select the right firmware for YOUR device from the drop down lists.
2. Open iTunes.
3. Plug in your device via USB cable.
4. When the device shows up in iTunes hold Shift on your keyboard and click on Update. A popup box should appear asking you to select firmware.
5. Select the firmware file you downloaded from the iOS Firmwares site above and wait for it to update your device.
III. Jailbreak the Device
1. On your computer, go to the jailbreak of your choices website and download the jailbreaking software for your computer version (LimeRa1n only supports Windows):
2. Once downloaded unzip the file (if it is zipped).
3. Close iTunes and leave your device plugged in.
4. Right click on the jailbreak program’s .exe file and choose Run As Administrator (only if using Windows Vista or 7, otherwise just double click it).
5. Follow the on screen prompts to jailbreak the device.
6. Once done, the phone should have the Cydia icon in the apps. If so, it worked!