How to Sync Google Contacts on an iPhone
The use of Google for Email/Contacts as well as the Calendar has become one of the top web outlets used in terms of communication as well as keeping track of scheduled events. For iPhone users, being able to find a feature that allows the capability of syncing this option has been a difficult task, but there is a solution to this problem.
Here is a quick and easy step by step instructional on how to sync both your Google Contacts and Calendar to your mobile iPhone device.
I. Before You Begin
1. Make sure that you backup all of your data initially (Contacts and Calendar Events) prior to syncing Google on your iPhone to avoid any chance of erasing important information.
*Note: This can be done internally with the use of iCloud, and also through a USB computer connection.
2. Also, this How to is not limited to any specific model; this will work on any iPhone.
II. Set Up Google Sync
1. Scroll through the icons on your iPhone until you come across the Settings icon. Tap Settings.
2. A list of all of your setting options should appear. Tap the Mail, Contacts, Calendars selection.
3. Next, tap Add Account…
4. Select Microsoft Exchange.
III. Microsoft Exchange Configuration
1. Here is where you will enter all of your Google account information in the required fields – Email, Username, Password, and Description (an example would be “My Google Account”)
*Note: Be sure to leave the entry field titled “Domain” blank.
2. Tap Next once complete.
IV. Server Entry
1. Next, a new “Server” selection will appear on your screen. From there, type in “m.google.com” and tap Next.
2. Take note to the message that appears reading “Keep Contacts on iPhone?” – you will want to select YES as another form of backup, so that your contacts will not be erased during the syncing process.
3. A warning message will pop up on your display screen regarding your account settings. Tap Accept.
4. After this, select both Contacts and Calendar to sync to your phone by tapping until it reads ON next to both selections.
5. Now, tap Sync to begin the process, and then when it appears again, tap Sync once more to confirm the transmission of data.
1. Now your screen will display Google Sync erasing all of your current relevant data from your Contacts and Calendar, followed by the synchronization of both back onto your iPhone from your Google account.
2. Once the sync reads as “Complete,” turn your iPhone off and back on again to make sure that everything has worked properly.