How to Replace the Screen on an iPhone 5 (Complete Video Guide)
Thanks to my girlfriend dropping her phone on the sidewalk and shattering the screen, I’m going to do a video on how to fix a broken iPhone 5 screen (thanks Christy!). I’ve seen a few of these videos online but noticed a bit of a gap in the information that I’d like to address in my tutorial; they’re incomplete. Let me explain.
There are two different types of replacement screens for the iPhone 5, one that has all of the parts that are normally attached to the screen included (earpiece, home button, etc.), and one that, simply put, doesn’t. I HIGHLY recommend buying the more complete one as it’s usually only $30 more or so and makes the repair process WAY faster. This is what most tutorial videos on repairing the screen usually show: a simple undoing of the old screen and reconnecting of the new one. This process can take less than 3 minutes (depending how angry you get at the prying off of the screen, and how long that temper tantrum might take you to calm down from). Instead of showing that today though, I figured I’d show the complete replacement, home button and all.
Maybe you want to save the $30, maybe you can’t find the complete kit from someplace other than shady Chinese websites, or maybe you like a challenge? Regardless, there is a way to do it and it can be done still relatively easily. Here’s how:
I. Before You Begin
1. You will need the following:
- New Screen (then choose white or black)
- More Tools (the one I used in the video was part of this kit that has everything you’d ever need for all phone repairs for the most part).
- Small Phillips Screwdriver (again, mine was in the above kit).
- Suction Cup OR Razor Blade (this is for prying off the screen, I explain it a bit in the video. I had a suction cup in that kit I mentioned).
2. Keep track of ALL the screws. Not just so you don’t lose them but also EXACTLY which hole they came from as some are different sizes.
II. Remove the Old Screen
1. Remove the two pentalobe screws the bottom of the device (on either side of the Lightning port).
2. Using the suction cup to get a grip on the screen to pull it upward, pry the screen from the metal frame of the device (see video for more details).
3. Pull the screen back to a 90 degree angle with the rest of the device, but do NOT pull it off.
4. Disconnect the three connectors that are holding the screen to the motherboard (if you have a complete new screen as I mentioned above, at this point you just reverse the steps and attach the new screen, otherwise, continue onward, brave soul).
III. Transfer Over Components to New Screen
1. Remove the earpiece by undoing the two screws holding it in (keep track of what screws go where, they are different sizes!).
2. Remove the metal plate holding in the home button in by undoing the two screws there.
3. Remove the metal plating on the back of the screen by undoing the screw at the bottom (near the home button plate), the screw at the top, near the earpiece, the two screws on the right side, and two screws on the left.
4. Pop out the home button.
5. Slowly and carefully peel off the metal plate and its attached “sticker” (see video for details).
6. Slowly and carefully peel off the connectors at the top and its attached “sticker” (see video for details).
7. Put the home button into the new iPhone screen.
8. Put the metal plate over the home button, stick down it’s “sticker”, and screw it in place.
9. Attach the connectors at the top to the new screen and be sure to put the small metal tip under the connector (in the same way it came off) and stick it back in place.
10. Reattached the metal plating using the screw at the bottom (near the home button plate), the screw at the top, near the earpiece, the two screws on the right side, and two screws on the left.
11. Reattach the earpiece.
IV. Attach the New Screen to the Motherboard
1. Reconnect the three connectors to the motherboard and make sure they are connected properly.
2. Replace the metal plate that goes over the connectors.
3. Slowly fold the screen back onto the rest of the device from top to bottom (see video for details).
4. Turn it on and bask in its unscratchy-ness.
Hope that worked for you guys! Let me know!