How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Desire

I. Before You Begin

1. You MUST have done our How To Root the HTC Desire. If you haven’t, go do it and then come back here to continue.

II. Download and the Recovery Image Package to Your Phone

1. Download the recovery package

2. Save the .zip file to the root of your SD card and rename it to update (NOT in any folders, just on the sd card itself. Do NOT extract it. It should be named update and be a .zip file).

II. Download the ROM You Want

1. Goto our HTC Desire ROMs section on our site and choose from the ROMs there. Download the one you want and save it to your computer (do NOT extract it, leave it as a .zip).

2. Plug your phone in via USB cable and mount the sd card so we can transfer files to it.

3. Copy the ROM .zip file to the root of your sdcard (NOT in any folders just on the sd card itself).

4. Now, turn the phone off and turn it back on by holding down Volume Down and Power until the Bootloader mode comes up.

5. Using the volume buttons and power to select, navigate and choose Recovery.

6. Push Volume Up and Power to get the recovery menu to appear.

7. Select Apply (This should launch the recovery package).

8. In the new recovery menu on your phone, navigate using the trackpad to Wipe and click it. Then click Wipe data/factory reset.

9. Once it is done wiping, click Volume Down to go back to the main menu and now select Flash zip from sdcard and choose the .zip file you downloaded and saved to your sd card just now.

10. Once it is done flashing, select Reboot and your all set! You are now running your custom ROM. Enjoy!

53 responses to “How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Desire”

1. Ginkocr says:

Hi there, just did all the steps for rooting and flashing my desire. Now i’m stock in the flashing setup. I downloaded Recovery, saved the file into my sd (root), and then followed all the steps. But the new recovery screen does not appears. It remains in the old one, so i dont have the trackball option or the option.

I’m missing something here?

2. Danny says:

I attempted to follow the procedure in:
    and after running the updater (RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.exe) the device went off and will not startup.
    – All I get is a operating beep, black screen and illuminated buttons and upper led.
    I started out with a brand new O2 branded phone.

If I try to turn it on and plug in to PC, device makes a bird tweet sound and PC identifies it a an empty removable disk drive (with no inserted disc).

If I try to turn it on while pressing the volume down button, PC
    My PC identifies the phone as an “Andriod 1.0” and no drive is added, device does not make any sound this way and nothing lights up.

Anything I can do to restore my phone?

3. Bashy says:

Had my Desire 4 weeks (T-Mobile UK), they don’t seem to be in too much of a rush to release 2.2 so I followed your Root guide but got into problems in the last couple of steps, when running Step 1- Windows (On Win 7 Pro 32 bit) it just kept failing the signature verification. Anyway, I used unrevoked instead, and then followed your guide above. For some reason I don’t need to follow the step, in fact I can’t, just says cannot find. But I ran the ROM anyway and it installed fine. MoDaCo r8…so yeah, thanks a lot for this to you, MoDaCo and the xda forum.

Top work.

Now to go an play.

4. […] i got it rooted with unrevoked 3. now my problem is installing a custom rom. following this How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Desire | TheUnlockr but when i try to do step 7 it goes to a black screen and i have to press the power button to get […]

5. […] Welcome dude! To get 2.2 on ur device try updating through Android…. or you can use a custom ROM but this can be buggy: How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Desire | TheUnlockr […]

• rajesh1108 says:

In the beginning you say:
      1. Download the recovery package

2. Save the file to the root of the SD card. But Which file as the recovery package name is Can you tell me which file you’re talking of.

6. Chris says:

Same problem.Same question? … or do we rename the package. The instructions specifically say’s do not rename update, but it is not named update anyway. All a bit confusing.

7. 1234567890 says:

i cannot open the video in custom rom was no available. . .

8. David Johnson says:

Hi, I loaded a custom rom but now I can’t get the phone to see my SD card or
    mount it.

9. Raj says:

Thanks for your post
    I rooted my phone using guide n instructions
    then i used the instructions to install custom rom, everything went well but later on my htc desire when i rebooted it then now my phone screen is blank and nothing coming on it

when i am switching it on i can not load anything
    i thing i messed ur phone

can you please help me to sort this out
    please do me reply oin my email

10. Raj says:

Hi there :) I’m even scared to write… 😉

Newbie Noobie here. Greetings!

Got myself a birthday present a few days ago – HTC Desire.

If it helps, here are the details:
    Firmware version: 2.2

i rooted my phone and then followed the steps to install custom rom

Anyway, here’s my problem (there were posts about it before as well).

Once I reach point 5 in Step 2 [i.e. Turn off your phone & turn it back on holding POWER + VOL DOWN then use vol up/down to scroll down to ‘Recovery‘ and power to select.] after I click ‘Recovery’ my screen either stays white with the green HTC logo or just goes black – in either case, that’s it… nothing happens and no buttons work.

The first time it happened I almost got a heart attack (well, which noobie didn’t?) because I thought I’d just bricked my baby… Right now it is still the only way for me to do ANYthing after getting the black screen…

Any suggestions/help will be more than welcome! Thanks in advance!!!

(And sorry for the long post… I always need long intros and all the details listed to make myself as clear as possible)

Please do help me

i am nearly crying while typing it

email me the response

• Risingmorningstar says:

This may have been said b4 but this way of rooting an uscc htc desire cdma does not allow for new roms. there is another way to root that you have to use.

• Markdoyle Mail says:

I have the same problem where I have loaded one of the custom roms and received a black screen for my efforts. How can this situation be remedied. Thanks in advance. Mark.

11. I have desire hboot 0.93.00001
    Rooting prosess went fine. But when I try to flash rom, I dont get any errors.
    Vut when I reboot it hangs on white screen with htc logo. For around 20 min.
    I tryed several roms. Any Idea?

12. Livanos54 says:

i tried the above method but installation is aborted … the message is : error in /sdcard/……(status 7)

13. Andrei Fresh says:

I must be rooted before flashing a custom rom ? I have a stock rom unrooted.

14. Aleksmarg says:

great article thank you

15. Gyozomandras says:

I’ve rooted my Desire with your guide (How to gain….). After this I tried to install an custom rom (RunnymedeMod007_v13_c-CM7-STOCK). I wiped the phone, after I installed the rom. After reboot I typed in the pin code, but it was several force close message and the phone didn’t started. I tried several roms, but no one worked. What is the problem??

Sorry for my english…

16. Gyozomandras says:

I rooted my Desire with your guide. It worked. After this I wanted to install a custom rom – íRunnymedeMod007_v13_c-CM7-STOCK. I wiped the phone, installed the new rom. After the restart I typed in the pin code, after this popped up several force close message. After restart again it was the same. What is the problem?