I. Before You Begin
1. This is the easiest method available to root.
2. This method will also flash a custom recovery image so you can start flashing ROMs immediately.
3. On your computer, go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > and Uninstall HTC Sync if it is installed before you continue.
4. UPDATE (1.18.11) – You must have active service on the phone, an SD card in the phone, and use the latest Unrevoked for your specific device from the download page.
II. Root and Flash a Custom Recovery Image
1. Download the Unrevoked Rooting App
*If the above version of Unrevoked doesn’t work, try this one, Unrevoked 3.31.
2. Double click the Unrevoked program you downloaded. If using Windows, then click on the file that appears called Hboot Driver and follow it’s instructions to install the modified HBoot drivers OR click here and download the drivers and install them manually.
3. Once the drivers are successfully installed, double click the Reflash program to open it.
4. Once the driver is successfully installed, turn off the phone by taking out the battery and putting it back in. Then push power to turn it on and get it to the normal home screen.
5. On your computer, right click the Reflash file and run as administrator. It should open Unrevoked and say “waiting for device”.
6. On your phone, click Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure USB Debugging is checked ON.
7. Plug in your phone into your computer via usb cable.
8. It should automatically locate your phone that is plugged in and you can just follow the prompts to continue.
9. Done! You are rooted and have a custom recovery image!
III. (UPDATE 12.09.10)(Optional) Gain S-OFF
1. Download Unrevoked Forever after rooting the phone using Unrevoked above.
2. Plug in your phone via USB cable and mount the sd card so you can transfer files to it.
3. Copy the unrevoked .zip file to the root of your sd card (not in any folders just on the sd card itself).
4. Turn off the phone and boot into recovery mode by holding down Volume Down and Power then selecting Recovery.
5. Click Flash .zip from SD card and choose the Unrevoked Forever .zip file and wait for it to flash. All done, you have S-OFF.
IV. (Optional) Load a Custom ROM
1. Head over to our How To Load a Custom ROM procedure.
Big thanks to the Unrevoked Team!
Issue: I installed the HBoot drivers but Unrevoked still can’t see my device.