1. This is the easiest method available to root.
2. This method will also flash a custom recovery image so you can start flashing ROMs immediately.
3. On your computer, go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > and Uninstall HTC Sync if it is installed before you continue.
1. Download the Unrevoked Rooting App Unrevoked (Updated 09.20.10)
2. Double click the Unrevoked program you downloaded. If using Windows, then click on the file that appears called Hboot Driver and follow it’s instructions to install the modified HBoot drivers OR click here and download the drivers and install them manually.
3. Follow ALL of the instructions on that how to install the hboot drivers page. (If your phone doesn’t have an option for HBoot USB though, Hboot is fine)
4. Once the driver program is successfully installed (and your phone should be sitting in Hboot mode at the end of that procedure), take out the battery and put it back in then hit the power button to get it back to the normal home screen.
5. On your computer, right click the Reflash file and run as administrator. It should open Unrevoked and say “waiting for device”.
6. On your phone, click Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure USB Debugging is checked ON.
7. Plug in your phone into your computer via usb cable.
8. It should automatically locate your phone that is plugged in and you can just follow the prompts to continue.
9. Done! You are rooted and have a custom recovery image!
1. Head over to our How To Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Incredible procedure. Big thanks to the Unrevoked Team!
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.