So you’ve rooted your T-Mobile G2X? Ready for the fun stuff now? Well, first up, you have to flash a custom recovery image. A custom recovery image allows us to make backups (something very necessary when messing with your phone), flash custom ROMs, kernels, and tons of other neat stuff. In this procedure, we’ll show you how to flash the recovery so you can get to the fun stuff in the next procedure.
1. You MUST have done our How To Root the LG G2X procedure. Once done, come back to this procedure and continue.
2. There are other ways to flash a custom recovery (like ROM Manager), but this is the only way right now to guarantee that if the device has an issue you will be able to get to recovery to fix it (unlike ROM Manager which requires you to be able to get the device on in order to get to recovery mode from the ROM Manager menu).
1. Download the one click recovery flasher/drivers by TGA_Gunnman (and if you like his software please feel free to thank or donate to him).
2. Extract the flasher .rar file somewhere on your computer.
1. Remove the battery from your device.
2. Hold Volume Up and Volume Down and keep holding them.
3. While the buttons are being held, plug in the phone via USB cable to your computer. You can let go of the buttons once Windows detects a new APX device.
4. On your PC, open Device Manager and you will see APX Device with an ! next to it. Right click it.
5. Select Update Driver Software
6. Select Browse My Computer
7. Select Browse
8. Search for the G2X folder you extracted in Section II then go to the APX folder inside and select it.
9. Install the driver.
10. You should see NVIDIA USB Boot-Recovery Driver for Mobile Device under USB Controllers in the Device Manager main screen on your PC. If so continue, if not, uninstall the driver and try again.
1. Remove the battery from your device (if you put it back in).
2. Plug the phone in via USB cable to your computer.
3. Right click OneClickRecoveryFlasher.exe inside the NvFlasher folder inside the file you extracted in section II and select Run As Administrator (if such an option doesn’t exist, just select Open).
4. Once it is done, unplug the device from the USB cable.
5. Now, hold Volume Up and Volume Down (and keep holding them through the next couple of steps).
6. Plug the phone in via USB Cable (with the volume up and volume down still being held).
7. While still holding the volume up and volume down buttons, click on Flash ClockworkMod 220.127.116.11 on your computer.
8. Once it says “S/W Upgrade – Please wait while upgrading…”, you can let go of the volume up and volume down and just wait for it to finish flashing in the command prompt.
9. Once it is done, it’ll say press any key to continue in the command prompt window on the computer. That means it is done, press enter then unplug your device from the computer.
10. Put your battery back in.
11. To boot into recovery mode in the future, simply turn off the phone then turn it back on by holding down Volume Down and Power and keep holding it until you see the word Android in Orange letters.
1. Head to our How To Flash a Custom ROM procedure to begin flashing custom ROMs (like Gingerbread ROMS etc.).
1. You can follow section IV but click Flash Stock instead of Flash ClockworkMod to get back to a stock recovery image.
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
Now that you are rooted, head here to learn some of the fun things you can do!
For all the devices we have rooting procedures for, head here.