Have a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Nexus? Ready to push it to the limit? How about gaining root access and unlocking the bootloader so we can use root required apps and even load some custom ROMs to increase performance, load themes, and more? Yes, please.
1. You must head to our How To Setup ADB procedure and get ADB to recognize your device. Once it does (and shows a serial number at the end of that procedure), come back to this one to continue.
2. This procedure is only for Windows users.
3. THIS WILL ERASE YOUR DEVICE SO PLEASE BACKUP ANY PICTURES, CONTACTS, ETC. BEFORE YOU BEGIN!
1. Download Modaco’s Superboot files and save them to your computer.
Modaco Superboot Files
2. Once downloaded, extract it by right clicking and hitting extract all.
3. On your phone, click on Settings > Developer Options > Turn USB Debugging On.
4. Plug the device in to your computer via USB cable.
5. Open the superboot folder that we just extracted (until you see the folder with fastboot-windows inside it), then hold the shift key down on your computer and right click any blank area.
6. Now, select open command window here.
7. In the command prompt, type the following with hitting enter at the end of each line.
adb-windows reboot bootloader (and wait for the device to reboot)
fastboot-windows oem unlock
*If it gets stuck at waiting for device here, download and install PDANet on your computer, once installed, unplug then plug the device back in and see if that fixes it.
8. Once it runs the device should display a screen asking you if you are sure. Click yes using the volume buttons. The device will go back to the bootloader screen but say unlocked at the bottom.
1. After it does, look in the folder on the computer again and this time click on install-superboot-windows.bat and wait for it to do it’s thing.
2. You now have root access on your device and can use apps from the market that require root permissions.
Next, you can load a custom recovery and load custom ROMs if you want to get the most out of your device. Follow the steps below.
1. Head to our How To Load a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus procedure.
If you liked this, please share it. It's greatly appreciated!