The original Galaxy Tab has been around for almost two years now, but the device, with its 1GHz Cortex-A8 CPU, might take a while to fade away in the background. There is a robust development community that has built up around this device and it is still getting custom ROMs, some even based on ICS. This post will show you to root this device and flash the ClockworkMod Recovery at the same time and by the end of the procedure, you should be able to choose a custom ROM of your liking and flash away!!
1. As always, back up your data before you begin with the procedure.
2. Make sure that you have all the proper drivers installed on your Windows PC before you proceed; if in doubt about this, download and install Samsung Kies and this should take care of the drivers needed for the procedure to work.
3. This method is only for the GSM version of the Galaxy Tab P1000 running Gingerbread 2.3.3, so make sure that this is the device you have.
1. Download and extract Odin3 v1.7.rar to a folder on your desktop.
2. From the extracted folder, double-click on Odin3 v1.7.exe to open the Odin application.
3. On Odin, click on PDA. Navigate to the location where you have downloaded CF-Root-TAB7_XX_OXA_JQ1-v3.3-CWM3RFS.tar to from above and select it.
4. This is the most important instruction ever and we really can’t stress how important this is. Make sure that the Re-Partition tickbox is unchecked!! Ticking this is a surefire way to brick your device.
5. Power down your P1000.
6. With the device powered down, press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons until the device boots into Download Mode.
7. Connect the device to your Windows PC using a microUSB cable. Odin should now recognize your device and the ID:COM should light up yellow.
8. Make sure that your Odin screen looks like this before you proceed:
9. Click on Start. Again, make sure that Re-Partition is unchecked!!
You have now rooted and installed ClockworkMod Recovery on your Galaxy Tab P1000!!
1. Download your favorite ROM from our ROM Section.
2. Copy the downloaded ROM zip file to the SD card on your device and disconnect the device from your PC.
3. Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, with the device powered down, press and hold Volume Up + Power until it boots into Recovery.
4. Make a Nandroid backup before you install the new ROM.
5. After backup, select ‘Install zip from SD card‘. Navigate to the location where you downloaded the ROM zip, select it and then select ‘Install‘.
All thanks go to Chainfire for making it easy for us!! Visit his thread on XDA to thank him or even donate if you like his work!!
If this procedure helped you, please consider donating to the original developer or at least sending them a thank you.
For more of our modding, hacking, and advanced tinkering tutorials, head to our Rooting and Jailbreaking section.
For more of our tips and tricks, head to our How To section.