How To Root the HTC Rezound (Video)
Maybe you want faster performance? Maybe you want to get rid of the Sense UI in favor or regular Android? Maybe you want to upgrade to the latest version of Android when your carrier and manufacturer tell you you can’t? Yeah rooting will solve all that. Here’s how to root the HTC Rezound on Verizon.
I. Before You Begin
1. You must be on software version 2.01.605.11 or higher.
II. Setup ADB
1. Head to our how to setup ADB procedure, once you can see a serial number at the end, head back to this procedure to continue.
III. Unlock the Bootloader
1. MacPro88 over at DroidForums did a great how to for unlocking the bootloader complete with screenshots and all. Head to that through the link below, once done there, head back to this procedure to continue.
IV. Flash the Custom Recovery Image
1. Download the Custom Recovery Image and save it to the platform-tools folder inside the SDK (you should have set this folder up when installing the Android SDK in MacPro88′s procedure above).
2. On the Rezound, click the Menu button then click Settings > Developer Options > Check ON USB Debugging.
3. Plug in the device via USB.
4. Now, with the rezound-recovery.img file in the platform-tools folder in the SDK (and in the same folder as fastboot), open a command prompt on your computer by opening Windows File Explorer and look for the android-sdk folder inside of the C drive. Then open the platform-tools folder inside that. Now, hold the shift key down on your keyboard and right click in any blank area inside that folder. This will give you the option to open a command window here. Select that and a command prompt will open saying c:\android-sdk\platform-tools\
5. In the command prompt, type the following with hitting enter at the end of each line:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Wait for the phone to reboot into bootloader (if it doesn’t your drivers are not installed properly, please head to our how to install adb procedure and make sure you can see a serial number before continuing).
7. Once it reboots to bootloader, type the following into command prompt with hitting enter at the end of each line:
fastboot flash recovery rezound-recovery.img
8. Wait for it to flash. Once done, type the following into the command prompt with hitting enter at the end of each line:
9. Wait for the device to reboot to bootloader mode then use the volume buttons to highlight bootloader and use the power button to select it.
10. Then select recovery using the volume buttons and then click the power button to select it.
V. Root the Rezound
1. Once in the custom recovery menu, scroll down using the volume buttons and use the power button to select Developer Options.
2. Select Install su and superuser and wait for that to finish.
All set you are now rooted and have an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery image, head to our how to load a custom ROM procedure next if you want to start flashing other versions of Android.