How to Enable 720p Video Recording on the Nexus 7
While the Asus Nexus 7 promises to provide better features than any other slate out there, in $199, it just lacks one thing: poor camera. The device’s got a 1.2 Megapixel camera on the front-side that’s capable to shoot videos at 480 pixels, by default. A hidden potential has recently been revealed by an XDA user which allows to shoot videos in high-definition at 720 pixels. And thankfully, we now have a recovery flashable ZIP that does the job for you without any hassles of modifying files and in the following guide, we’ve gone deeper to give you step-by-step directions to get the mod working. Follow the guide given below and your Nexus 7 will start recording videos in HD!
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure. Check out our guide on how to root the Nexus 7.
2. You must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your device. You can install it from here.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. MOD ZIP (Download link’s given in the first post)
III. Enabling 720p Video Recording on the Nexus 7:
1. Put the MOD ZIP archive you just downloaded to your Desktop. Do NOT extract it, leave it as is.
2. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
3. Copy the MOD archive over to the root of your SD card.
4. Once it’s copied, unplug the device from your PC.
5. Turn OFF the device.
6. Reboot the device into Recovery Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume DOWN+Volume UP+Power buttons together.
7. You’ll see a list of options on the screen, choose Recovery.
8. Once inside the Recovery mode, go to install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
9. Choose the MOD archive you copied earlier for flashing.
10. It’ll then start flashing the file and once it’s done, you’ll see a notification.
11. Choose reboot system now from the menu and your device will reboot.
12. You’re all set!
Great! Now go out somewhere and capture the amazing things in High-Definition on your Nexus 7!
If this procedure helped you please thank/donate to the original developers here.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.