How to Install TWRP Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S3 (MetroPCS)
Folks over at TeamWin has released the TWRP Recovery for the Samsung Galaxy S3 (MetroPCS) smartphone and it looks like there’s a good number of the said recovery’s fans. The aforementioned recovery’s available for almost all the popular devices out there, including Galaxy S2 and HTC One X. Having a custom recovery on the device lets you perform various tasks that couldn’t have been done with a stock recovery, such as flashing custom ROMs and tweaks. To learn how you can install TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy S3 (MetroPCS), you can follow our guide below.
I. Before You Begin:
1. You must have done our How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S3 (MetroPCS) procedure.
2. This should replace your current recovery with the TWRP Recovery.
II. Downloading Required Files:
1. TWRP Recovery Image (Scroll half-way down and you should see the link, it’s .img file)
III. Installing TWRP Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S3 (MetroPCS):
1. Download and place the Recovery Image onto your Desktop.
2. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
3. Copy the Recovery Image over to the root of your SD card.
4. Once file’s copied, unplug the device from your PC.
5. Install the Terminal Emulator app on your device using the link provided above.
6. Once installed, launch it from your App Drawer.
7. Type in following command into the app:
8. You’ll be asked to grant Superuser permission, tap the Grant button.
9. Next, type in following command into the app replacing recoveryfilename.img with the actual name of the Recovery Image you downloaded.
dd if=/sdcard/recoveryfilename.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
10. Once it’s done, reboot the device.
11. And you’re all set!
Cheers! The touch-based TWRP Recovery has been successfully installed on your device and you’re half-way there to flash custom ROMs!
IV. Flash a Custom ROM (Optional):
1. If you are ready to flash custom ROMs on your device, head to the How To Flash a Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy S3 (MetroPCS) to learn how to do that.
If you need help with this procedure, please ask in the comments below or in the forum.
This is part of our Android How To’s. We have how to’s on rooting, loading ROMs, and tons of other tips and tricks for your specific device or for Android devices in general! For all of our Android How To’s, head here.